Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 »

mathias19 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm
I've searched everywhere on forums etc and tried half a dozen software’s to find a way to convert the Format profile level from 5.1 to 5 but I cannot seem to do it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Don't use the Plex app on the LG, use a USB drive or setup a DLNA server and use the internal media player instead. If your only playback device is the LG, then I honestly wouldn't bother with muxing into a MPEG-TS container. It's pointless because you're not getting lossless audio. Use the MP4 method from the other thread instead.
Tormented wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:21 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this topic from the first page. After two weeks of waiting the Shield Pro 2019 was finally stocked again and I immediatly purchased it.

I muxed Birds of Prey in TS file and it has Dolby Vision. The biggest problem now is that I can't activate Dolby Vision on the Shield. It says that my HDMI is probably not fast enough.

I have an LG OLED C8 and currently use a HDMI cable with the these specs:
4K @ 60 Hz with HDR or 4:4:4 with ARC and CEC.
Full 18 Gbps from HDMI 2.0b.

Since my LG OLED C8 only has HDMI 2.0b I don't know what to do. Will an 2.1 help me with my problem? I've seen the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable that supports Dolby Vision. If I buy this cable, will my problem be solved?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have another HDMI cable you can try? The specs of the one you listed should be plenty good, maybe it's just faulty. This is not an issue with HDMI2.1, and if you do have to end up buying another cable, anything with the specs you listed should be fine. Also, is your Shield being connected directly to your TV or is it going through some kind of sound system?
SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm
I'll take a look at the scene. I don't have a lot of time this week to mess with things too much but I'll at least see if I can see the red push.

As for the Integral 2, maybe. Hopefully someone else has more time than I do right now to look at it.
Sounds good!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea I see the red push. It's subtle but it's visible in that scene.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Throwing another random help request out there. Does anyone have experience with subtitles? I've noticed when playing PGS it dramatically stutters the frame rate on Shield. I have an SRT but the timing is way off and I don't have the adjust timing option on the Shield. I tried adjusting it on the player via my PC but no dice.
jayper

Post by jayper »

chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:57 am
Throwing another random help request out there. Does anyone have experience with subtitles? I've noticed when playing PGS it dramatically stutters the frame rate on Shield. I have an SRT but the timing is way off and I don't have the adjust timing option on the Shield. I tried adjusting it on the player via my PC but no dice.
1. Extract the PGS subs from the MKV.
2. The convert the PGS subs with SubtitleEdit (https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/) to an SRT.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

jayper wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:59 am
chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:57 am
1. Extract the PGS subs from the MKV.
2. The convert the PGS subs with SubtitleEdit (https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/) to an SRT.
Thank you sir. Does it matter what I use to extract the PGS? Any recommendations?
jayper

Post by jayper »

You'll need MKVToolNix (https://mkvtoolnix.download/) and an additional GUI for extracting tracks, unless you can do it yourself via the command line.

After you're done installing MKVToolNix, the installer will recommend some suitable options. You'll be fine with any they recommend.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

jayper wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 am
You'll need MKVToolNix (https://mkvtoolnix.download/) and an additional GUI for extracting tracks, unless you can do it yourself via the command line.

After you're done installing MKVToolNix, the installer will recommend some suitable options. You'll be fine with any they recommend.
Thanks - I've used MKVToolNix before but seems like it wants to create everything as a .mkv file. How would I utilize the tool / GUI to output just the PGS track I want?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:20 am
jayper wrote:

Thanks - I've used MKVToolNix before but seems like it wants to create everything as a .mkv file. How would I utilize the tool / GUI to output just the PGS track I want?
you can also use eac3to or tsmuxer to demux the pgs tracks in the same you did with the audio/video tracks.
jayper

Post by jayper »

chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:20 am
jayper wrote:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmkvextractgui/ Is one of the tools the installer recommends. Again, you need to install MKVToolNix as well. The GUI invokes the extract code within MKVToolNix. It will extract and save the .sup (PGS) file you want.
mathias19

Post by mathias19 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am
mathias19 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm
I've searched everywhere on forums etc and tried half a dozen software’s to find a way to convert the Format profile level from 5.1 to 5 but I cannot seem to do it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Don't use the Plex app on the LG, use a USB drive or setup a DLNA server and use the internal media player instead. If your only playback device is the LG, then I honestly wouldn't bother with muxing into a MPEG-TS container. It's pointless because you're not getting lossless audio. Use the MP4 method from the other thread instead.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try using the LG internal media player but it doesn't recognise TS files. I'll give the mp4 method a go however I don't understand the bit about the command line from the first post? See below:

"DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type"
mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

Thanks!
Tormented

Post by Tormented »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am
Do you have another HDMI cable you can try? The specs of the one you listed should be plenty good, maybe it's just faulty. This is not an issue with HDMI2.1, and if you do have to end up buying another cable, anything with the specs you listed should be fine. Also, is your Shield being connected directly to your TV or is it going through some kind of sound system?
The Shield is directly connected to my TV. Maybe the HDMI is indeed faulty. I did order the Belkin Ultra High Speed cable (48GBPS) which is Dolby Vision Certified and is also recommended by Nvidia on their website. I will receive it tomorrow, so I will give you a heads up when it works.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

mathias19 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try using the LG internal media player but it doesn't recognise TS files. I'll give the mp4 method a go however I don't understand the bit about the command line from the first post? See below:

"DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type"
mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

Thanks!
Download this version of mp4muxer here:

https://mega.nz/file/Jawn3ADa#vN1ai3llv ... ktTQ4uFYkk

Then extract the two HEVC tracks and main audio track (into ac3 format) from the decrypted main playlist file using eac3to. Use the gui version to do this or command line:

eac3to.exe path_to_playlist.mpls 2:BL.HEVC 3:EL.HEVC 4:Audio.ac3

then feed the files you just extracted into the mp4muxer (mp4muxer_64bits.exe) command above
mathias19

Post by mathias19 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:17 pm
mathias19 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks!
Download this version of mp4muxer here:

https://mega.nz/file/Jawn3ADa#vN1ai3llv ... ktTQ4uFYkk

Then extract the two HEVC tracks and main audio track (into ac3 format) from the decrypted main playlist file using eac3to. Use the gui version to do this or command line:

eac3to.exe path_to_playlist.mpls 2:BL.HEVC 3:EL.HEVC 4:Audio.ac3

then feed the files you just extracted into the mp4muxer (mp4muxer_64bits.exe) command above
Thanks, I'll give it a go!
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

I was asked to test a test image for the shield from one of the devs that should fix the red push color issues with DV.

I won't be able to reply and get it pushed to my shield until Saturday/Sunday to do some testing.

I'll let everyone know the outcome this weekend.

My go to will be Doctor Sleep as this is most noticable on my C8
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Good god if they fix that and we get mkv playback of dv.... Wow!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk