Irritating lines around moving images...

Everything related to MakeMKV
dillonkmh

Irritating lines around moving images...

Post by dillonkmh »

I have ripped about 60 seasons of my TV shows, and most rip just fine. However, about 12 of the seasons I have ripped, every DVD in each of the 12 seasons there seems to be lines created around motion images... example: People, Cars, etc... anything that moves seem to have these irritating lines around them. What causes this to happen and how to prevent this from future rips? Thanks, Don
servocrow

Re: Irritating lines around moving images...

Post by servocrow »

from what I can recall concerning dvd's , the older untouched mpeg file or raw VOB file would create a kinda "line" image around certain items. played through certain media players. This can be remedied a few different ways. If you are still wanting to rip these DVDs via MAKEMKV then I would convert the MKV file to a divx file using a number of different programs that can do just that. I personally only rip BLURAYS using MAKEMKV, usually for DVDs I rip them them into thier RAW VOB format then hit them with DVD Shrink, then Auto Gordion Knot which turn them into .avi's.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@dillonkmh

Hi!

It sounds like only SOME of your DVD "rips" contain interlacing. This would be extremely unusual, if ALL of your source material is original, commercial DVDs...

dillonkmh

Post by dillonkmh »

servocrow - What program do you use to rip DVDs?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Please post a screenshot of the 'lines'
If its what I think it is (telecine), then this link will help you understand whats going on:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine

If this is the case its perfectly normal, though annoying and most of the time can be easily fixed.

*note that it does not matter what program you use to rip the disk, the content will still have telecine*
servocrow

Post by servocrow »

skittle is correct, its not in the ripping, its in the VOB/mpeg files iself on the DVD. The easiest way to get rid of these is to transcode them or compress them:

if you insisit on using MAKEMKV to rip the dvds, then I would use handbrake to transcode them into a smalaler mkv file. That would most likley take care of your issue.

if you are able to rip the files onto your hard drive by using dvdfabs Free dvd/hd decryptor then you could use dvd shrink to remove menus, and junk you dont want, then run them through AutoGordionKnot to creat an .avi. all of these apps are free,turtorials can be found online, youtube etc.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Why use dvdfab, dvdshrink??? Makemkv does this for you :|

Also why use autoGK? That application is an ancient relic of the 20th century. Its 2010. Please use modern tools like ffmpeg and x264, directly or with one of the many free GUI's, like handbrake or ripbot.
dillonkmh

Post by dillonkmh »

Here is an image with lines around things while watching the show. This is done by using MakeMKV... it don't always look so bad like this, but this is an example of what I see a lot of the time on certain DVD Rips. Like I said before, it happens with about 10-15% of my tv complete seasons, and when it happens on one of the DVD's, then it happens with them all within that whole paticular TV Season.

skittle

Post by skittle »

Yes, those are interlacing artifacts, have a look at the link i posted earlier. Like I said before, it does not matter which ripping program you use, they are hardcoded into the stream, and can only be removed by re-encoding and performing de-interlace, or inverse-telecine depending on the content. It is important to know which you have.

Read about interlace and telecine here:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine
http://www.100fps.com/
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide
servocrow

Post by servocrow »

skittle-

ive been transcoding video for a really long time, never has ONE TOOL been required to correct all issues. If this has 720/1080 video we were discussing then YES, handbrake etc would suffice. However in this situation to correct this problem some of these (ANCIENT) tools come in quite handy, dvd is 480, why not correct it any way you can, you cant upscale a transcode. i guess there is no point in leaving any kind of advice if someone is just going to come along and try to rub ones face in it, at least I gave options, what have you submitted?
dillonkmh

Post by dillonkmh »

I went ahead and set on Handbrake the Video Filter / Comb / Custom - now they come out looking acceptable. Lines are gone.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, Rock on - Don
spamtom

Post by spamtom »

It also depends on what your using to play back the dvd rips. XBMC can deinterlace on the fly so can VLC player. I personally dont like any alterations to my dvd rips so i prefer to rip them and use post processing to deal with it. It will save you time as well. If you cant play them back through a program that does it, then i would listen to the excellent advice given here so far :-)