Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rosavanwinkle

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by rosavanwinkle »

ATD555 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm
Has anyone had it where the TV displays the Dolby Vision icon but the video is very washed out and the black bars on the video are pretty much bright gray?
If you give me your test files,i'm more then willing too test them,
Same for everybody else
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:14 pm
ATD555 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm
Has anyone had it where the TV displays the Dolby Vision icon but the video is very washed out and the black bars on the video are pretty much bright gray?
yep, this happened to me when I tried to remux a DL DV MP4 to DV TS. my fix was to demux the mp4 first with ''dlb_mp4demux'' and then build a new TS.
Okay so what I should do is:
  • Demux the HEVCs
  • Remux into DL DV MP4 using dl_mp4remux
  • Demux the MP4 (like in step 1)
  • Build new TS

Correct? Should I use the newest TSMuxer build that was linked here?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

-if you're working with original m2ts from uhd-bd, you should remux to DV TS directly in tsMuxer. No mp4muxer needed.

-if you're working with DV MP4: on my end, because I also experienced the washed-out picture with grey black bars, I started using the mp4demuxer to demux first and then use the raw hevc layers to build a new DV TS with Atmos.
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4demux

-personally I'm now using the newest tsmuxer with no DV descriptor in the HDR10 layer.
this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gq5TA ... B1io4OwHW9
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am
-if you're working with original m2ts from uhd-bd, you should remux to DV TS directly in tsMuxer. No mp4muxer needed.

-if you're working with DV MP4: on my end, because I also experienced the washed-out picture with grey black bars, I started using the mp4demuxer to demux first and then use the raw hevc layers to build a new DV TS with Atmos.

-personally I'm now using the newest tsmuxer with no DV descriptor in the HDR10 layer.
Thank you for the clarification, I'll give it a try
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

RESET_9999 wrote:

What commands do I use in the Dolby Demuxer
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Code: Select all

mp4demuxer_64bits.exe --input-file E:\DV.mp4
only this cmd but the process is very slow. maybe I'm doing something wrong,I'm not sure.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

RESET_9999 wrote:
have you tried a dual layer mkv remux at all? curious if demuxing it (gMKVExtractGUI) and making a ts from the two hevc and thd atmos files play properly on the x700 or not.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Grencola wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:33 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
have you tried a dual layer mkv remux at all? curious if demuxing it (gMKVExtractGUI) and making a ts from the two hevc and thd atmos files play properly on the x700 or not.
Yes I did and it works properly. Of course the truehd track need to be processed in eac3to
kws53

Post by kws53 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
What is the difference between having descriptors in both the EL and BL layers, compared to only the EL layer? Do they play differently?
kws53

Post by kws53 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 am
Grencola wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Yes I did and it works properly. Of course the truehd track need to be processed in eac3to
Are you saying that a method of using the MKV container exists? Wouldn't we need a single layer DV file?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

RESET_9999 wrote:
awesome, I figured as much. and yea eac3to is probably the quickest way to add the ac3 track.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Grencola wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Can you explain what you did here?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

kws53 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:56 pm
Are you saying that a method of using the MKV container exists? Wouldn't we need a single layer DV file?
depends on what device you're playing it on. x700 can play dual-layer ts made from mkv / m2ts fine. the shield, firetv, apple tv etc all still need single layer.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kws53 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Unless I misunderstood what he asked. DV in MKV container does not work but if the mkv got both layers, you can build a new DV TS from it.
kws53 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm

What is the difference between having descriptors in both the EL and BL layers, compared to only the EL layer? Do they play differently?
no difference at all, but i believe the DV descriptor on the HDR10 layer is not needed. Just like the mp4muxer does.
Also this make the file playable(playback was jumpy tho) in HDR10 on the shield.. previous tsmuxer triggered DV with a black screen.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

But how much do you guys write? :shock: :lol:

I don't know if there have been developments and I don't know if my tool to create a raw BL+EL+RPU file can still be useful or not but, as promised, you can find the tool HERE.

For those who do not want to use the command line, after unpacking the archive, click on the "start_bl_el_rpu_builder.bat" file and follow the instructions on the screen.
A "BL_EL_RPU.hevc" file will be created in the same folder of this program (so pay attention to how much free space you have left on the disk)

For those who want to use the command line (on Windows, MacOS and Linux), you can use your version of Python (with python >= 3) but you must first install "bitstring"

pip install bitstring
Windows users can also use the interpreter present in the "python-3.7.6.amd64" folder.

To see the available options, run the source code (in the "src" folder) with the "-h" switch.

python src/bl_el_rpu_builder.py -h

or(Windows users)

python-3.7.6.amd64\python.exe src\bl_el_rpu_builder.py -h

Hoping that everything works correctly (forgive any errors), I recommend you to mux the file obtained using mp4muxer (as far as I know it is the only program able to process the information present in the NAL relating to the Enhancement Layer).
Try both with profile 4 and with profile 7.

Happy testing everyone!

CHANGELOG

Version 0.0.3
	-- 	Fixed HDR10+ bug
	-- 	Fixed "Malformed NALu EOS" bug
	-- 	Fixed "Folders and files with spaces in the name" bug 
	-- 	Fixed "EL_ANALYSIS hanging at 0.0%" bug
	-- 	Changed the values ​​of the switch "-lbf" for a better management of the RAM.
		Default value: 500. Incremental steps of 100
	-- 	Improved logic and readability of the code

Version 0.0.2
	-- 	Improved logic and readability of the code
	-- 	The "-tbw" switch (time before the writer) has been removed and replaced by an internal mechanism.
	-- 	The "-mode" switch has been added. Allows you to choose the output mode:
		BL + EL + RPU (Single Track Double Layer == default) or BL + RPU (Single Track Single Layer).
		For more information, run the program with the "-h" switch

Version 0.0.1
	--	initial release

v0.0.4 ALFA
Download: HERE
Instructions and considerations: HERE

CHANGELOG

initial release
	-- 	Management of raw HEVC streams from REMUXed files
	-- 	DEMUX capability (BL_EL_RPU.hevc  --->  BL.hevc + EL_RPU.hevc)
Last edited by yusesope on Sun May 10, 2020 9:27 am, edited 7 times in total.