Building a computer for bluray ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
enduser2000

Building a computer for bluray ripping

Post by enduser2000 »

A friend of mine has a large collection of Blu-rays and DVDs that he wants to rip to a computer and use it as a plex server. I am wondering if this hardware would be sufficient for ripping? Any suggestions? Does the make/model of blu-ray drive matter?

i3-9100
16GB Ram
2x4TB storage drives in a raid.
Grauhaar

Re: Building a computer for bluray ripping

Post by Grauhaar »

CPU Power is not a problem for ripping, the I/O activity of the blu-ray drive(s) and harddisc(s) are the bottleneck.
Good Luck :)

Post by VarHD »

enduser2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm
(...) has a large collection of Blu-rays and DVDs
enduser2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm
2x4TB storage drives in a raid.
^ This right here is going to be a problem, if by "large" you really mean large and if he wants to preserve the highest quality, that is - just rip and not transcode the files.

I would call my collection "medium-sized" and my two 14 TB drives (not in RAID so full 28 TB of storage) are already full, I need a third one. I do have mostly Blu-rays, though, 4K and standard so if the majority of his collection consists of DVDs, he could be fine at first, but if he plans on expanding his collection, 4 TB may not cut it so I would recommend bigger drives.
9Nails

Post by 9Nails »

Count each DVD movie as 8.4 GB, and each Blu Ray as 50 GB. If they want the extras disk, count those as half-full disks. That's just to estimate your storage needs.

If your friend has TV Series which they want to convert over, you'll need a count of the number of discs in the series.

I have about 190 titles in my Plex server. They are just ripped with MakeMKV with no transcoding - each of my titles are retaining their original DVD or Blur Ray quality, and unfortunately size. I have about 5 TB of data at the moment. And I have a very small collection.

My Plex server uses an Nvidia Tegra X1 CPU, and 3 GB of Ram. I seriously have light bulbs that use more power than my Plex server. I stream for personal use to 2 TVs at home, and sometimes my phone on the go. It works phenomenally well.

I don't know if it's recommended to run multiple instances of MakeMKV over multiple bluray drives in the computer. But I did this, and it's a little hit and miss. The multiple instances of MakeMKV try to read both drives. At times I worried that it'll interrupt a rip, but it never did. I'd just pull down and switch disk drives to the correct one that I wanted. Thankfully I had 2 different manufacturers allowing me to keep things straight in my mind. But working through I could use multiple drives and multiple instances of MakeMKV to rip my collection a little faster.
enduser2000

Post by enduser2000 »

800-900 DVDs
100-200 Blu-Rays

Any suggestions on a compression program? Any suggestions on the size needed once these are compressed? Thanks.
GaryG45

Post by GaryG45 »

I've tested Handbrake to convert MKV files to MP4 files. A 5GB movie will be approx. 990MB as a MP4. Handbrake will re-encode which may cause a loss of quality, which you may not notice. I've only begun ripping DVDs, so others with more experience will probably have a lot more information.

Good luck!
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

GaryG45 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm
I've tested Handbrake to convert MKV files to MP4 files. A 5GB movie will be approx. 990MB as a MP4.
Which highly depends on the used settings/parameters. You can produce from a 5GB file a 10GB file or a 500MB file ..... all is possible

My goal is for Blu-ray rips approx. 5 GB per hour.
Good Luck :)