Blu Ray greater then 50gb?

Everything related to MakeMKV
nickhopkins07

Blu Ray greater then 50gb?

Post by nickhopkins07 »

I'm new to ripping my modest blu ray collection (for my HTPC) I ripped my first one with MakeMKV a few days ago and it seemed to work fine. However, I tired doing the same process with Disneys 'UP' last night only to find something I wasn't expecting. I believed BLu Ray was 50gb, yet when makeMKV interrogated the disk it said there were 6 titles all at 25GB! I thought maybe this was just a 'clever blu ray thing' and when I ripped it I'd end up with just one 25gb file, but nope, I selected all 6 titles (one of which failed) ripped them, and 5 hours(!) later I had a nice 127GB worth of 'Up' taking up my hard drive.

So what's going on guy's?

cheers
setarip_old

Re: Blu Ray greater then 50gb?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Many Disney releases include one or more scenes that have visual references to different languages (e.g. a newspaper, a love letter, etc. in English, French, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese) coordinated to the audio languages on the disc.

The file structure/method they use for this is to have ONE main movie and several branches from that main movie to the language specific scenes. Based on the way the disc directory is created, it shows perhaps three "main movies" of 25Gb each, when it's actually 25Gb for the main movie plus some MUCH smaller amount of data for the branched-to other language materials...

nickhopkins07

Post by nickhopkins07 »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

How come MakeMKV still found 127gb of data though and plonked it on my HDD?

I take it a Blu Ray just can not hold that amount of data, so is MakeMKV interpreting it wrongly, or ripping it incorrectly?

Thanks again
Nick
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

Hi Nick,

MakeMKV is behaving correctly. MKVs dont support seemless branching so a seperate file has to be created for each branch. Just choose the branch that applies to your language and dont tick the other unecessay branches (AKA titles).
nickhopkins07

Post by nickhopkins07 »

Hi Krobar,

Thanks I'll give that a go tonight and see how I get.

Cheers