Why Do I Need a Beta Key to Rip DVDs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rtaft

Re: Why Do I Need a Beta Key to Rip DVDs?

Post by rtaft »

koberulz wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:49 am
st4evr wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 am
Your DVDs/BDs will not explode or run away in the small timeframe you have to wait for the key to be updated by Mike.
Speaking as someone who's found during this backup process that a large number of my discs have rotted and are unreadable...not necessarily true.
I had an entire series of a show I went to rip and every other disk would not work. It wasn't scratched but it was in a clear case. They do eventually break down like most things, especially if regularly exposed to sunlight.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

rtaft wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:47 am
koberulz wrote:
st4evr wrote:
Your DVDs/BDs will not explode or run away in the small timeframe you have to wait for the key to be updated by Mike.
Speaking as someone who's found during this backup process that a large number of my discs have rotted and are unreadable...not necessarily true.
I had an entire series of a show I went to rip and every other disk would not work. It wasn't scratched but it was in a clear case. They do eventually break down like most things, especially if regularly exposed to sunlight.
Granted, but I find it very hard to believe the media would “rot” or fail specifically in the 2-4 day timeframe (often he updates it within a day when possible) it normally takes Mike to update the free key. For something this extreme it takes weeks or years in some or most instances and/or various other factors outside their control. It would be unfair to blame him or any other developer/software vendor for such unfortunate events, specially if it’s that extremely urgent for you and/or others, then there is the purchase option or other competitors whom also offer similar functionality to create backups.

I personally do not use MakeMKV exclusively. I have other pieces of software for this as well (4 in total). The more tools and experience you have in your toolbox, the less headaches you’ll have. Mike makes a great tool, but it’s not the only tool and I can’t rely on his being here for eternity due to the volatility of this scene and he being a human being and all.

MakeMKV is not the “be all end all” software for these tasks, again, despite being a great piece of software. And no one here, including myself, is the center of Mike’s universe when it comes to this.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Well said.
geogan

Post by geogan »

rtaft wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:47 am
koberulz wrote:
st4evr wrote:
The user writeable ones do yes, because the writing is done using a special ink that is susceptable to sunlight... but I don't think commercial discs are affected by light... the actual data on them are physical pits (holes) on a printed plastic.
Mtenga

Post by Mtenga »

Crockett wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 am
No answer is also an answer. I don't mind paying for software at all, but what I don't like is a wishiwashi game like this. @Mike: no rush, I just went with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper. Better ratings, lower price.
It is not a lower price though is it? You've just paid for a year and will have to do so again next year if you wish to continue. MakeMKV licence is for life.

The downtime every other month is just the price we pay for the privilege of using the software free. If ripping discs was mission critical to me I'd buy the software. Otherwise I just wait and continue to be grateful for the fact that Mike offers it in Beta for free.
glazunov2

Post by glazunov2 »

When is the October beta key going to be posted?????
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

When Mike gets around to it.