Why Do I Need a Beta Key to Rip DVDs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
koberulz

Why Do I Need a Beta Key to Rip DVDs?

Post by koberulz »

According to the website:
You may use MakeMKV to convert or stream DVD and AVCHD discs for free, as much as you want. Converting or streaming Blu-ray discs is shareware functionality.
So why can't I rip DVDs (or even open the software) without a key?
Woodstock

Re: Why Do I Need a Beta Key to Rip DVDs?

Post by Woodstock »

You need the beta key for MakeMKV to operate. The BD functionality has a 30-day limit on the beta key.

As long as the key is current according to your computer's system date, MakeMKV will happily rip DVDs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

There's no 30-day limit on BD functionality, because it's still in the beta phase. The 30-day limit only applies to the full, non-beta version, which doesn't exist yet.

DVD functionality is always free, beta or otherwise. As such, a key shouldn't be required.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The 30-day BD limitation is definitely there; I hit it when I was using the beta key eons ago. You have to re-enter the beta key to reset it.

If you rip a BD the first day a beta key is issued, 31 days after that, you'll have to re-enter the same key.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
markclane@gmail.com

Post by markclane@gmail.com »

koberulz wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:44 am
According to the website:
You may use MakeMKV to convert or stream DVD and AVCHD discs for free, as much as you want. Converting or streaming Blu-ray discs is shareware functionality.
So why can't I rip DVDs (or even open the software) without a key?
Because the dude that is spending all his time developing the wonderful application is not just doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He's got bills to pay like the rest of us. If you have used the app for more than a month and you like it, buy it! If you're looking for a free application to rip DVD's, there are a few like Handbrake. However, HB pales in comparison on so many levels for MakeMKV...especially speed.
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 pm
The 30-day BD limitation is definitely there; I hit it when I was using the beta key eons ago. You have to re-enter the beta key to reset it.

If you rip a BD the first day a beta key is issued, 31 days after that, you'll have to re-enter the same key.
Odd, I'm sure I would have run into it by now but I never have.

In any event the same key still works so it's not really there, and the way the purchase page is phrased DVD ripping is free functionality even outside the beta, and therefore shouldn't' require a key.
rtaft

Post by rtaft »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Here I am waiting for the beta key to update so I can copy my Spider-man Far From Home, I could have ripped this yesterday using the trial period.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

rtaft wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 am

Here I am waiting for the beta key to update so I can copy my Spider-man Far From Home, I could have ripped this yesterday using the trial period.
No need to wait.

http://makemkv.com/buy/
ntvtexan

Post by ntvtexan »

OK, let's all meet on a common ground to settle this little Beta-Key kerfuffle. I too have been unemployed now for 8 1/2 years. Once you hit 50 (I'm now 57) nobody really wants to hire you anymore. So, on with the Beta-Key issue. I'm trying to back up the Blu-Ray collection I accumulated while employed...about 248 BD's. I would like to have these movies with me when I travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas around the state of Texas, and it's not like I'm trying to illegally RIP BD's I don't own. While I have truly enjoyed the functionality of MAKEMKV, being unemployed puts a damper on buying this great software for $53.00 ! And all these other people can't seem to buy it either...for $53.00. So what I have in mind is this. Why doesn't the programmer drop the price for 30 days for everyone to jump in and buy a LIFETIME key for $20.00. It solves our problems, and it puts money in the programmers pocket, which IS a good thing for him and us. We can stop bitching about not having the use of MKV until he can find time to catch up, and he gets a little better payday than he has now. After all, selling 10,000 or more Lifetime Licenses at $20.00 is a lot better than selling 20 Licenses at $53.00...Right ? RIGHT !!! Basic economics. I would buy a Lifetime License RIGHT NOW for $20.00 US. Who's with me on this ? Show some support people, maybe we can solve this once and for all if the programmer agrees. :D
JDLemon

Post by JDLemon »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:54 am
No need to wait.

Some are disabled like me with very limited budgets. Been saving for a while to get a key but other things like food and meds take it up. Just seems so many get upset about asking on a time frame for a new key.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

JDLemon wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:54 am
No need to wait.

Some are disabled like me with very limited budgets. Been saving for a while to get a key but other things like food and meds take it up. Just seems so many get upset about asking on a time frame for a new key.
And that is perfectly fine and understandable. And Mike (owner/developer of MakeMKV) has provided the free version willingly for anyone to use unlike other competitors, for the past 10+ years with the small caveat that you will have to wait until HE updates the key. It’s his application and decision. No one in this forum makes that call.

Your DVDs/BDs will not explode or run away in the small timeframe you have to wait for the key to be updated by Mike. Small price to pay for getting a full free working version of the app. Patience is a virtue.

And to the OP, yes the 30 day trial period for the app still there. I just installed it on a clean installation of Windows for a brief unrelated test and I was prompted about the 30 day trial period on first install/run of the app with a BD.
JDLemon

Post by JDLemon »

While i understand and appreciate the work done on this software, it is also about the level of hostility that comes about about those asking about the updates. Or statements of just buy it. That is all i am saying.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

JDLemon wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 am
While i understand and appreciate the work done on this software, it is also about the level of hostility that comes about about those asking about the updates. Or statements of just buy it. That is all i am saying.
That may primarily be because that same exact question has been asked for those 10+ years. Anyone who takes the 15 seconds or less to run a forum search for something as simple as “beta key”, it would yield the same answer to that question thousands of times over.

Every month the key expires, it’s this exact same conversation all over again. When it could have been all easily avoided and the answer found with a simple forum search.
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

st4evr wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 am
Your DVDs/BDs will not explode or run away in the small timeframe you have to wait for the key to be updated by Mike.
Speaking as someone who's found during this backup process that a large number of my discs have rotted and are unreadable...not necessarily true.
JDLemon

Post by JDLemon »

st4evr wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:25 am
JDLemon wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 am
That may primarily be because that same exact question has been asked for those 10+ years. Anyone who takes the 15 seconds or less to run a forum search for something as simple as “beta key”, it would yield the same answer to that question thousands of times over.

Every month the key expires, it’s this exact same conversation all over again. When it could have been all easily avoided and the answer found with a simple forum search.
Wonder why there is not a sticky post about this then... Might save the stress and hostility.