Ripped DVD->MKV not starting at beginning

Everything related to MakeMKV
sokrates7

Ripped DVD->MKV not starting at beginning

Post by sokrates7 »

I have various different cases in which the resulting MKV created from ripped DVDs do not start the playback at the beginning of the movie.
They either start the playback few minutes after the movie beginning or even in the middle of the movie.
This result can be reproduced after new conversion DVD->MKV, the movie always starts at the same position.

However, this behaviour can be seen in case of Reelbox playback only. When played on the PC (VLC or other) the movie shows without errors
from the beginning.

As there are numerous movies that converted well there must be a reason.
Any hints ?
setarip_old

Re: Ripped DVD->MKV not starting at beginning

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
this behaviour can be seen in case of Reelbox playback only

That would certainly make it seem that the problem lies with "Reelbox"... (I am not personally familiar with "Reelbox")

sokrates7

Post by sokrates7 »

If I use common sense this should not be the only reason for the problem.

In case of always VOB sources and always the same app used for conversion (makeMKV)
the result should be always the same or am I wrong ?

What is happening here is that there seems to be a pointer to the beginning of the movie
that is interpreted in a certain way. If the common PC apps interpret this pointer correctly
but Reelbox (which is using XINE player as far as I know) does not in some cases, there
should be a reason for that either in the source VOB files or in the created MKV file.

Thanks,
sokrates7
skittle

Post by skittle »

try remuxing with mkvmerge, and if that doesnt work it is likely that your hardware player has broken mkv support.