A Charlie Brown Christmas 4K: Problem on playblack of .mkv files.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
NickMKV

A Charlie Brown Christmas 4K: Problem on playblack of .mkv files.

Post by NickMKV »

Hello,

I have an LG WH16NS40 UHD drive with the proper firmware installed and am able to rip 4K UHD discs using MakeMKV.

One disc I own is the US version of 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' on 4K UHD (Barcode: 8-83929-60088-5). As a bonus feature, it contains 'It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown' in both widescreen and original 4:3 aspect ratios.

When ripping the disc to .mkv and playing the video files, I've noticed that the original aspect ratio version of It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown always either hesitates or glitches out at 2:03. The audio is fine, but the video stutters for a split second. There are no errors reported during the rip and this has nothing to do with my network bandwidth or anything as I'm playing the video file right on the PC I used to rip it using VLC Media Player. It does not exhibit this issue when playing the disc normally on my Xbox One. Any idea what might be going on here? Is this a 'key frame' issue or something maybe...? I'm a little worried as this casts every other rip I have into doubt.

If anyone else has this disc ripped to .mkv, does the original aspect ratio version of It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown play perfectly for you (especially at 2:03)?
st4evr

Re: A Charlie Brown Christmas 4K: Problem on playblack of .mkv files.

Post by st4evr »

What happens when you play it with something other than VLC on that same PC?
NickMKV

Post by NickMKV »

I don't have any other apps that can play .mkv files on that PC. Any suggestions? If I put the video file on my NAS and play it it on my Samsung TV using the Plex app, it stutters again at exactly that same spot. I have a different TV as well with a Rasperry Pi connected to it running Kodi, and I don't know what's going on with Kodi, it just straight up crashes and reboots when trying to play that file.

I've noticed there are other timestamps in that video that exhibit the same stutter / glitch. Always at the same times.

There doesn't seem to be anything funky going on with the file. I do notice that during playback, in VLC, if I look at the 'Codec Information' this section of content keeps flashing as if it's there, then not there, then there again. This happens on every video I've ripped though, so I don't think that means anything.

st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Google JRiver and/or MPC-BE + MadVR.