Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tango306

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 »

murrayit wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:54 am
tango306 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 pm
murrayit wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 am

Is this true? To date I only tried Justice League which had less than 60 MB DV track and honestly I couldn't find any difference which the HDR10 version (Both remux and m2ts).
If this claim is legit so what are the best DV movies I can try? I recently got US but I haven't watched it yet...
Not true. There's no "fake" DV.
4K UHD Bluray discs use Dolby Vision Profile 7 (dual layer).
There are two type of Dolby Vision Profile 7.
1. DV Profile 7 with MEL (Minimal Enhancement Layer)
2. DV Profile 7 with FEL (Full Enhancement Layer)
MEL contains dynamic metadata for HDR. And FEL contains dynamic metadata + data from the original HDR master for full 12-bit color.

Paramount, Universal and Lionsgate are known to exclusively use FEL. (only exception from Lionsgate was their recent Robin Hood release. This used MEL).
Warner and Disney are known to use MEL. (The only exception was 2001 A Space Odyssey from Warner and Black Panther from Disney. These two used FEL).

Why don't you try Braveheart (Paramount)? This is known to be a reference standard transfer and contains FEL. For some reason, I can't get Braveheart DV mp4 to play on OLED. It's HDR10 and 4K Bluray disc play fine though. Can you make a Braveheart DV mp4 and report back your findings?
Thanks 🙏🏻
I'll try Braveheart and I'll report here
Yup. Let us know.
Just remember, there are two types of Dolby Vision Profile 7 on 4K UHD Bluray:

1. MEL (Minimal Enhancement Layer)
The video info is only in the base layer (10-bit 4:2:0) and the MEL only has metadata. (Metadata being dynamic, this is still better than static based HDR10).

2. FEL (Full Enhancement Layer)
FEL layer has metadata and the extra picture information bringing the final output to 12-bit. Usually hevc file size for FEL is about 10% of hevc file size of base layer.
BozoXL

Post by BozoXL »

I posted yesterday, I tested Braveheart. Somehow my message did not come through? Anyway, I muxed it from the 0800.mpls playlist with mkvtoolnix. Then used the mkv.cmd script from Grencolas dv-mp4-maker. Works fine on my LC C7.
tango306

Post by tango306 »

BozoXL wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am
I posted yesterday, I tested Braveheart. Somehow my message did not come through? Anyway, I muxed it from the 0800.mpls playlist with mkvtoolnix. Then used the mkv.cmd script from Grencolas dv-mp4-maker. Works fine on my LC C7.
Why did you make it into mkv in the first place?
BozoXL

Post by BozoXL »

tango306 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm
BozoXL wrote:
I always do, to be certain I have the whole movie, not just some random mts file part(s?) :-P And to be sure, to have the right video tracks, the right audio track and maybe subtitle track.

I only using this for testing and curiosity, because I prefer HDR+Atmos over DV+AC3 and I cannot play back DV+Atmos both at once. ;-)
tango306

Post by tango306 »

BozoXL wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:22 pm
tango306 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm
BozoXL wrote:
I always do, to be certain I have the whole movie, not just some random mts file part(s?) :-P And to be sure, to have the right video tracks, the right audio track and maybe subtitle track.

I only using this for testing and curiosity, because I prefer HDR+Atmos over DV+AC3 and I cannot play back DV+Atmos both at once. ;-)
BDInfo is what you need. :)
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

murrayit wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 am
powdeau wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 am
fib1985 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 am

I watched Mortal Engines. I create the .mp4 from .iso
Artifacts like a large green strip in the middle of the screen for a few seconds. Yeah, tonight i will use another HD (7200rpm) and i will see.
I have LG C7 and I also have these artifacts in some movies. It is not because of DV or a HDD, but because of the player in TV. It cause artifacts also on the remuxes or on the m2ts files from ISO. It's too bad that LG didn't fix it on new model (also someone should try it on C7). I fixed this by buying Sony X700 where it works fine.
I just have an issue there with DV. Sometimes, when there is a change of the shot in the movie, the screen flashes for a 1 frame. If someone know how to fix this, it would be awesome. I have this problem just with DV.
I also experience these artifacts on OLED B7. For example in Captain America Civil War or Us or many other titles. It has nothing to do with mp4 DV discs though...
Any solutions for these? Or any suggested player which has the same picture quality as well as DV playback (I can't afford Oppo...)
Yes, the Sony X700.
tango306

Post by tango306 »

BozoXL wrote:
Here’s an update to my experience with Braveheart DV mp4.

There are two types of Braveheart 4K UHD Blu-ray title/disc:

1. From 20th Century Fox.
This has HDR10 layer only.

2. From Paramount Pictures.
This has HDR10 + DV layers. And DV is FEL.

My copy of Braveheart 4K Blu-ray disc is the one from Paramount Pictures, featuring full enhancement layer of Dolby Vision.

With that being said,
previously, my problem with Braveheart DV mp4 was that audio was out of sync.
I have tried:

1. Demuxing base layer, enhancement layer and audio layer individually by using tsmuxer. And then used eac3to to convert TrueHD audio to ac3. After this, Dolby Vision MP4Muxer was used to mux them into a mp4 container. I have tried 3 times and the results were the same.
Results were:
1.1 if played on PC, audio was out of sync.
1.2 if played on LG OLED, the TV just showed an error message complaining that the file was not properly supported.

2. Using CloneBD 1.2.5.0
The results were same as above.
Playable on PC but audio being out of sync. And not playable on OLED.

3. Tried Grencolas’ DV-MP4-Maker v1.2
Audio is in sync and plays fine. (Thanks to Grencola for the awesome tool).

Now, my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that Grencolas’ DV-MP4-Maker v1.2 uses eac3to (rather than txmuxer) for demuxing m2ts stream into hevc and ac3. And this seems like the only difference between 1 and 3 above. If this is correct, then I think the problem was the txmuxer not demuxing properly.

As for the CloneBD 1.2.5.0, I have no idea what kind of components it uses to demux and convert audio but this was problematic for Braveheart, too.
An interesting thing is that I’ve recently made over 20 DV mp4s using CloneBD and Braveheart is the only title with a problem.

Again, thanks goes to Grencola and eac3to for the awesome tools.
Last edited by tango306 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

tango306 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:44 am
BozoXL wrote:

My copy of Braveheart 4K Blu-ray disc is the one from Paramount Pictures, featuring full enhancement layer of Dolby Vision.

With that being said,
I have tried:

1. Demuxing base layer, enhancement layer and audio layer individually by using tsmuxer. And then used eac3to to convert TrueHD audio to ac3. After this, Dolby Vision MP4Muxer was used to mux them into a mp4 container. I have tried 3 times and the results were the same.
Results were:
1.2 if played on LG OLED, the TV just showed an error message complaining that the file was not properly supported.

2. Using CloneBD 1.2.5.0

Now, my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that Grencolas’ DV-MP4-Maker v1.2 uses eac3to for demuxing m2ts stream into hevc and ac3. And this seems like the only difference between 1 and 3 above. If this is correct, then I think the problem was the txmuxer not demuxing properly.

As for the CloneBD 1.2.5.0, I have no idea what kind of components it uses to demux and convert audio but this was problematic for Braveheart, too.
An interesting thing is that I’ve recently made over 20 DV mp4s using CloneBD and Braveheart is the only title with a problem.

Does it have seamless branching? That can be an issue with the syncness? of converted movies.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
tango306

Post by tango306 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 am
tango306 wrote:
BozoXL wrote:

With that being said,
I have tried:

Results were:

2. Using CloneBD 1.2.5.0

Now, my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that Grencolas’ DV-MP4-Maker v1.2 uses eac3to for demuxing m2ts stream into hevc and ac3. And this seems like the only difference between 1 and 3 above. If this is correct, then I think the problem was the txmuxer not demuxing properly.

Does it have seamless branching? That can be an issue with the syncness? of converted movies.
I’m not sure if Braveheart has seamless branching.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

tango306 wrote:
Cheers!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

tango306 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 am
If you watch the upper left box while MakeMKV is ripping the disk to MKV files, where it shows progress on the current title, the "Source file" entry will change from time to time if seamless branching is used in the movie. It's not guaranteed that you'll see it; some play lists will jump out to pick up just one scene from a different m2ts file, then back to the primary one.

If the Info window on the selection screen shows non-contiguous segments in the segment list for a title, the play list relies on seamless branching.

Using Backup won't show this, because MakeMKV isn't trying to accumulate the pieces... It's just copying the files, and the playback environment is what deals with the segments.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tango306

Post by tango306 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:14 am
tango306 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 am
If you watch the upper left box while MakeMKV is ripping the disk to MKV files, where it shows progress on the current title, the "Source file" entry will change from time to time if seamless branching is used in the movie. It's not guaranteed that you'll see it; some play lists will jump out to pick up just one scene from a different m2ts file, then back to the primary one.

If the Info window on the selection screen shows non-contiguous segments in the segment list for a title, the play list relies on seamless branching.

Using Backup won't show this, because MakeMKV isn't trying to accumulate the pieces... It's just copying the files, and the playback environment is what deals with the segments.
If I understand your explanation correctly, I think you can tell it by using BDInfo.
If so, here's the disc info for Braveheart (Paramount).
As you can see below:
its optimal playlist is 00800.mpls with its "one" corresponding file which is 00003.m2ts I guess this means the disc does not feature seamless branching.

Well, with that being said, Braveheart (1995) is one of those Dolby Vision discs featuring Full Enhancement Layer (FEL) of Dolby Vision. FEL on this disc has about 5.8mbps of average bitrate according to BDInfo.

Demuxing 00003.m2ts file shows:
1. 69GB of base layer,
2. 7.8GB of enhancement layer and
3. 7.6GB of TrueHD audio track.

Code: Select all

Disc Size:      93,818,022,886 bytes
Protection:     AACS2
Extras:         Ultra HD, BD-Java
BDInfo:         0.7.5.5

PLAYLIST: 00800.MPLS

Total   Video                                             
Title                                                           Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                           ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
00800.MPLS                                                      HEVC    2:57:42 92,955,445,248  93,818,022,886  69.74   51.57   Dolby Atmos 7.1 5744Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)   DD AC3 5.1 640Kbps

DISC INFO:

Disc Size:      93,818,022,886 bytes
Protection:     AACS2
Extras:         Ultra HD, BD-Java
BDInfo:         0.7.5.5

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:                   00800.MPLS
Length:                 2:57:42.401 (h:m:s.ms)
Size:                   92,955,445,248 bytes
Total Bitrate:          69.74 Mbps

(*) Indicates included stream hidden by this playlist.

VIDEO:

Codec                   Bitrate             Description     
-----                   -------             -----------     
MPEG-H HEVC Video       51573 kbps          2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020
* MPEG-H HEVC Video     5858 kbps           1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / Dolby Vision / BT.2020

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos Audio        English         5744 kbps       7.1 / 48 kHz /  5104 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Embedded: 5.1-EX / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -27dB)
Dolby Digital Audio             French          640 kbps        5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -27dB
Dolby Digital Audio             Spanish         640 kbps        5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -27dB
Dolby Digital Audio             English         640 kbps        5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -27dB
Dolby Digital Audio             English         224 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz /   224 kbps / DN -27dB / Dolby Surround

SUBTITLES:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Presentation Graphics           English         17.917 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           English         20.491 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           French          18.796 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           Spanish         17.231 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           English         26.464 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           French          22.769 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           Spanish         24.754 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           French          0.108 kbps                      
Presentation Graphics           Spanish         0.496 kbps                      

FILES:

Name            Time In         Length          Size            Total Bitrate   
----            -------         ------          ----            -------------   
00003.M2TS      0:00:00.000     2:57:42.401     92,955,445,248  69,744       
murrayit

Post by murrayit »

powdeau wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 pm
murrayit wrote:
powdeau wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 am

I have LG C7 and I also have these artifacts in some movies. It is not because of DV or a HDD, but because of the player in TV. It cause artifacts also on the remuxes or on the m2ts files from ISO. It's too bad that LG didn't fix it on new model (also someone should try it on C7). I fixed this by buying Sony X700 where it works fine.
I just have an issue there with DV. Sometimes, when there is a change of the shot in the movie, the screen flashes for a 1 frame. If someone know how to fix this, it would be awesome. I have this problem just with DV.
I also experience these artifacts on OLED B7. For example in Captain America Civil War or Us or many other titles. It has nothing to do with mp4 DV discs though...
Any solutions for these? Or any suggested player which has the same picture quality as well as DV playback (I can't afford Oppo...)
Yes, the Sony X700.
Yeah X700 doesn't play mp4 dual layer DV files does it?!! And I heard it freezes a lot is it fixed?
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

murrayit wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:43 am
powdeau wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 pm
murrayit wrote:

Yes, the Sony X700.
Yeah X700 doesn't play mp4 dual layer DV files does it?!! And I heard it freezes a lot is it fixed?
It plays mp4 dual layer, the only problem is that sometimes, when there is a change of the shot in the movie, the screen flashes for a 1 frame. I do not have any problems with freezing.
tango306

Post by tango306 »

benhur wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:41 am
Why don't you demux the Dolby Digital 640 kbps english track ?
It should be the same result as demuxing the Dolby Atmos core (5.1, 640 kbps)
Because it's not the main track. Director commentary etc.