explorer blinking freeze

Everything related to MakeMKV
whosebrian

explorer blinking freeze

Post by whosebrian »

I recently tried making A Clockwork Orange a mkv. During the conversion of the first file my windows 7 explorer.exe froze.The task bar, desktop icons, and cursor all started blinking thus making the computer nearly unusable. The Makemkv GUI did continue to run and finished its task. Once Makemkv was finished I unsuccessfully tried to correct the problem by restarting Windows. Next, I did a system restore, but that didn't work either. I also tried ending explorer.exe process tree and running another copy of explorer but the blinking persisted. I scanned with Malwarebytes and my system was clean. I finally fixed this issue in safe mode by deleting the files that Makemkv converted. There were five files in total, and the first one was connected to my problem. It wouldn't delete like the others so I had to delete it in cmd. After doing this I rebooted with explorer intact. On a lark I tried to use Makemkv again with the same movie and explorer froze in the exact manner it had the first time. I thought I'd share this conundrum in the hopes that it might help someone, or that I could find some feedback.
setarip_old

Re: explorer blinking freeze

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I tried to use Makemkv again with the same movie and explorer froze in the exact manner it had the first time

1) Have you previously used MakeMKV successfully with your present system?

2) Is your source material the actual commercial BluRay disc?

I've successfully made both full disc and .MKV backups of the U.S. version of "Clockwork Orange" without incident (On a Vista system)...

whosebrian

Post by whosebrian »

Hello-

I have not used Makemkv before, and yes, my source is a commercial version. I also have AnydvdHD running on my computer if that is relevant. I do not believe there to be a problem with the source media; I successfully ripped copies of it using Ripbot264 and AnydvdHD.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I also have AnydvdHD running on my computer if that is relevant.
Yes, it's relevant as there have been postings at this site and many others, indicating that AnyDVDHD (as well as DVDFab Passkey) can cause conflicts and unexpected problems with MakeMKV.

Please exit and completely turn off AnyDVDHD when using MakeMKV...

twa000

Post by twa000 »

whosebrian wrote:I recently tried making A Clockwork Orange a mkv. During the conversion of the first file my windows 7 explorer.exe froze.The task bar, desktop icons, and cursor all started blinking thus making the computer nearly unusable. The Makemkv GUI did continue to run and finished its task. Once Makemkv was finished I unsuccessfully tried to correct the problem by restarting Windows. Next, I did a system restore, but that didn't work either. I also tried ending explorer.exe process tree and running another copy of explorer but the blinking persisted. I scanned with Malwarebytes and my system was clean. I finally fixed this issue in safe mode by deleting the files that Makemkv converted. There were five files in total, and the first one was connected to my problem. It wouldn't delete like the others so I had to delete it in cmd. After doing this I rebooted with explorer intact. On a lark I tried to use Makemkv again with the same movie and explorer froze in the exact manner it had the first time. I thought I'd share this conundrum in the hopes that it might help someone, or that I could find some feedback.
I run Makemkv all the time with Win7 and have not experienced such a problem with over 150 movies. The only problem I have experienced with explorer, is with DivX software installed and explorer aborts on trying to "interpret" the icon for the mkv file. What other video/media conversion/play software do you have installed? - they all seem to add "added-value" extra's that can be a pain in the backside. :x