Dolby vision disks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Dlleno

Dolby vision disks

Post by Dlleno »

First, a question about vision backups without vision capability in the playback chain . Does vision content revert to hdr10?

Now regarding two titles, oceans eight and mission impossible fallout. Have these been successfully backed up? Will these stream to a vision capable tv?
SamuriHL

Re: Dolby vision disks

Post by SamuriHL »

If you are backing up to MKV, Dolby Vision is not supported in that container. The result will default to HDR10. If you are backing up the whole disc to folder and then burn it to another disc, then maybe.
Dlleno

Post by Dlleno »

Interesting. So streaming vision requires a different container...I wonder what Mike will do!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

1. Yes. DV is only a layer on top of HDR10. HDR10 is mostly a requirement for UHD content. With the exemption of a few titles who fell out of compliance. If somewhere the playback chain does NOT support DV it defaults to baseline HDR10 metadata per compliance.

2. Yes. Variations of those UHD discs have been backed up.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Dlleno wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:55 am
Interesting. So streaming vision requires a different container...I wonder what Mike will do!
It’s currently a limitation with the MKV container in certain scenarios. MKV app developers like Mike and/or developers of PC renderers like madshi (developer of MadVR) would need access to the DV source code. However, that code is Dolby proprietary closed source code which requires very expensive licensing and those who want to be licensed have to meet strict industry requirements.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Put a different way, not even PowerDVD licenses Dolby Vision for playback on a PC. Nor do most streamers (currently). So even if you had an MKV with DV, playback options would still be very limited.
Dlleno

Post by Dlleno »

I guess when one of the streaming service providers starts offering DV content, the media players will have to support it. Or maybe Dolby wants to license only disk spinners with hdmi outputs ...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The streaming services already do offer DV. Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime has started to I believe....if your equipment doesn't support it, then it drops back to HDR10. Not everyone wants to PAY to license DV....something Dolby vastly overestimates. With HDR10+ now making its way out into the world, the benefits of DV while having to license it are certainly dwindling. Does DV look fantastic? No question. Is it worth having everything in your chain license it, adding extra cost to everything you buy? Jury's still out on that one.
Dlleno

Post by Dlleno »

Agreed on the dv philosophy and the drama unfolding . The money grab must not be large though or we wouldn't see sub $200 spinners with hdmi output and budget priced TVs with dv. But I agree the complexity, drama, and politics it requires is much greater than any advantage it may have, if any, over hdr10+. Let the format wars ensue!
Nick Nickel

Post by Nick Nickel »

HDR10 + works with a MKV.
Itself tested with an Oppo 205.
The MKV movie "Bad Times at the El Royale" was played over a network by the Nas.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If only LG would add support for it. But it's not going to happen because they're firmly in the dv camp. Sigh. Didn't we already play this game once? It was called hd DVD vs Blu-ray.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk