reports dvd as blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
ksinger

reports dvd as blu-ray

Post by ksinger »

Hello,

I just installed MakeMKV 1.5.8. Now I can'r rip any DVDs. After inserting any DVD (into my laptop), MakeMKV reports "type: blu-ray", and gives the message "unspecified error while reading [dvddrive] at offset #### etc".

Am I doning something wrong?

Thanks for your help!
setarip_old

Re: reports dvd as blu-ray

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Just curious:

1) Is your laptop's drive capable of reading BluRay discs?
2) Have you had earlier versions of MakeMKV installed and working properly on this same laptop?
3) Too obvious a question, but I'll ask anyway - Are you sure the discs you've tried are actually DVDs?
4) Are these problematic discs original, commercial DVDs or "something else" (like BluRays compressed to DVD5s or DVD9s)
5) What are the titles and regions of the discs?

ksinger

Post by ksinger »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

Just curious:

1) Is your laptop's drive capable of reading BluRay discs?
2) Have you had earlier versions of MakeMKV installed and working properly on this same laptop?
3) Too obvious a question, but I'll ask anyway - Are you sure the discs you've tried are actually DVDs?
4) Are these problematic discs original, commercial DVDs or "something else" (like BluRays compressed to DVD5s or DVD9s)
5) What are the titles and regions of the discs?
Hi, good questions (I am sorry I didn't give more details in my post)

1) no
2) yes
3) yes :-)
4, 5) commercial - "Valkyrie" (2008). A DVD, but I guess they've used some kind of copy protection. Region Europe(?) with Norwegian/Swedish/Danish subtitles. A second DVD is included, with a low-res version of the movie, and with some unlock software for PC which I never bothered to install.

I tried another DVD as well and got the same problem.

This is a laptop running vista. I've ripped most of my DVDs with it using an earlier version of MakeMKV.

Thanks for your help!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Region Europe(?) with Norwegian/Swedish/Danish subtitles.

Have you previously successfully used this same laptop and drive to read Region2 (Europe) DVDs? If not, you probably have to change the region setting of your drive.

Either that or, despite your statement, you've somehow obtained discs that are formatted as BluRays. Why did you obtain these discs that you don't seem very certain about?

ksinger

Post by ksinger »

setarip_old wrote:
Region Europe(?) with Norwegian/Swedish/Danish subtitles.

Have you previously successfully used this same laptop and drive to read Region2 (Europe) DVDs? If not, you probably have to change the region setting of your drive.

Either that or, despite your statement, you've somehow obtained discs that are formatted as BluRays. Why did you obtain these discs that you don't seem very certain about?
These are DVDs I am sure. It says "DVD Video" on the disc. I tried the discs on another computer, and can rip them on that (using the same, new version of MakeMKV. COuld it be something with the configuration (of Vista, of the abstraction layer) that makes MakeMKV think it's a blueray drive?

BTW, I can open the DVD and play it on the laptop using VLC PLayer.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Again, have you previously successfully used this same laptop and drive to read Region2 (Europe) DVDs? If not, you probably have to change the region setting of your drive. (VLC may not "care" about region codes)

What region are you in?

ksinger

Post by ksinger »

setarip_old wrote: Again, have you previously successfully used this same laptop and drive to read Region2 (Europe) DVDs? If not, you probably have to change the region setting of your drive. (VLC may not "care" about region codes)

What region are you in?

I am in Region 2, and I am trying to read region 2 DVDs. The only thing that has changed is the version of MakeMKV after upgrade (1.5.8 ). The "Source" dropdown (only one choice) reads "DVD+R -DL HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA T50-L SC04".

Update: When running it as a regular user, it reports the DVD as "Blu-Ray". I tried running it as Administrator, it reports the same DVD as "HD-DVD"...

Thanks for your help!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma!

If you look toward the bottom of the "Download" page here, you'll see:
Beta version restrictions
MakeMKV BETA has several major restrictions.

Program is time-limited -- it will stop functioning after 60 days. You can always download the latest version from makemkv.com that will reset the expiration date.
HD-DVD support is limited - some discs may fail to open and not all audio and subtitle tracks will be preserved.
Blu-ray and DVD discs are fully supported.
Computer administrator privileges are required on Windows to run the beta version. This is limitation of Windows SCSI application programming interface. Eventually MakeMKV will not require administrator privileges to run.

ksinger

Post by ksinger »

setarip_old wrote:Congratulations on resolving your dilemma!

No it didn't solve it! Running with elevated privileges was one of the first things I tried -

Sorry about being unclear (again). :oops:

Running as admin (Vista), makes my (old-fashioned, regular) DVD show up as "HD-DVD". Which is just as wrong as Blu-Ray, and doesn't let me rip the DVD either (fails with similar errors).

Should I just chalk it up under yet another "Vista issue", install on another OS and move on?