Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Everything related to MakeMKV
DefiniteChoice
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 am

Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by DefiniteChoice »

Hi guys! Hopefully I came to the right place.

I got the message my version had expired and to re-download, which I did, but when I try to install it the installer says MKV is running and to close it before it can continue. I closed everything, don't see anything MKV in Task Manager, and even re-booted my computer but I still get the message.

What gives?
Woodstock
Posts: 10977
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by Woodstock »

Have to wait for Mike on this one - if, after a reboot, it says MakeMKV is still running, there is probably a file somewhere that it depends upon which is being locked by another task.
DefiniteChoice
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 am

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by DefiniteChoice »

Hmmmm weird, well I do look forward to any tips, thanks!
Chetwood
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by Chetwood »

Just to be sure, there was also no makemkvcon.exe listed in task manager?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
DefiniteChoice
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 am

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by DefiniteChoice »

Correct
Kikidy
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 am

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by Kikidy »

Did anyone ever figure this out?
As I am having this problem with 1.10.7, not 1.10.6 though.
yorgo
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Left of Center

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by yorgo »

If you're on a Windows machine, do as Chetwood suggested; open Task Manager and kill makemkvcon.exe and any other MakeMKV functions, has always worked for me. Also, try restarting your computer, see if that helps.
JBlue
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: Won't install; says MKV is already running...

Post by JBlue »

I know this is a really old post, however I had a similar problem and eventually got the installation to work. Not sure if others do the same thing as me, but I typically rename the files I download to something a little simpler and straight-forward (eg: "Setup_MakeMKV_v1.12.3" to "MakeMKV")... For some reason that was the cause for MakeMKV to not install.

I re-downloaded the file without renaming it and it worked perfectly.

Not sure if others are renaming the files they download, but it can cause installation issues in some programs.