Video encoding feature?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
chriselden

Video encoding feature?

Post by chriselden »

Hello,

i'm new here, i use makemkv for some weeks.

All "mkved" bluray can be read in my dvico m6600 hds. I love this app, it's the only "easy to use" able to encode from bluray files from a harddrive.

But makemkv "only" rip the languages subtitles etc... you want. So the result is a big mkv file.

Would be really really really great if we could encode a little bit a movie to reduce the file.

I always got a file from 20GB up to 35GB... i would like to get files between 8 and 14 GB. And with a good video process, we won't see differences between a "just ripped" mkv file and a "small video encoded/processed" mkv file.

In fact it's the only thing missing for me to buy the app.

Excuse me for my english :)

in any case than a lot for this great app for mac!
crowfax

Re: Video encoding feature?

Post by crowfax »

MakeMKV is not a video encoder. It copies audio/video/subtitle streams and packs them into an MKV file. You should try using an x264 based encoder to compress your files.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
chriselden

Post by chriselden »

sure, i can compresse the mkv files after using makemkv but it would be nice to have that in he same app :)

what is the best MKV encoder on mac?

thanx
skittle

Post by skittle »

^the same as on windows and linux.

x264
chriselden

Post by chriselden »

you have a name for such an app?

i would like to make my 20GB MKV reduced to 10-12GB easely (no command lines please)

thanx
skittle

Post by skittle »

is it really hard to do:

Code: Select all

$x264 title00.mkv --crf 18 --output movie.mkv
??? I certainly dont think so...

If you MUST use a gui... look at "handbrake". it is a nice cross platform gui for x264
chriselden

Post by chriselden »

i usual i can't run this command line it doesn't work for me :( access denied etc... command lines shouldn't exists i really hate that :)

Handbrake is full of bugs and always crash but i'm going to test it again. thanx

EDIT: last version of Handbrake 64bits seem's to work perfect here nice thanx again for the advice