How-To Install Guide for Ubuntu

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
techlab102

How-To Install Guide for Ubuntu

Post by techlab102 »

it makes no sense to have a linux verison of makemkv if there are no step by step guide to install it. can someone please have a guide for the install process? i downloaded the file, then extracted it...but then what? many thanks for anyone who has installed makemkv successfully on ubuntu would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
theophile

Re: How-To Install Guide for Ubuntu

Post by theophile »

You must have missed this:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Understandable though. They were hiding it at the top of the forum.
hh777

Post by hh777 »

Is there a way to buikd .deb packages for Ubuntu 9.10 so you can install and safely remove the software with the package manager?

Regards.
markiecork

Post by markiecork »

I have also tried to intsall makemkv and I used the first command to install the tools . sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev.I then try to use:
make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install
When i try this i got some error please any one help me?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi, please post the error message. Also are are you in the oss/bin source folder with 'makefile.linux' ? also make sure that you do the same for both OSS and BIN folders.
grandy

Post by grandy »

theophile: i'm picking up on your sarcasm :D

I'm having the same issue, likely because I'm similarly linux-challenged. I literally installed my first distro this evening, was installing my standard kit, and this was the first app I tried to add that ran into trouble. The instructions on that post (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 are very easy and useful and easy for us newbs, right up until the part about "Unpack both packages and starting from source package do the following steps for each package:"

When I copy/paste the provided text, i get the following error:

MyUsername@MyComputerName:~$ make -f makefile.linux
make: makefile.linux: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `makefile.linux'. Stop.

then I thought I would give a more file specific location for makefile.linux, and entered this:
MyUsername@MyComputerName:~$ make -f /home/MyUserName/Desktop/makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss/makefile.linux
I got the same error, then tried the _bin version of the same command, and got the error again.

I have two unpacked folders on my desktop, one ending in bin, the other ending in oss. I'm sure this is just a matter of not knowing my basic linux crap, but I dug around the Ubuntu help stuff and still can't figure it out. what do I do now?

Many thanks for helping a novice...

Grandy
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Howdy,

I have a script which I use for installing MakeMKV. I've posted it below.

Cut and paste the script one line at a time (do not copy the ## lines, they're just comments) and watch for errors. You may be required to press "y" during the apt-get part of the script, and when the licence agreement pops up you need to press "q" to exit it.

As with all scripts NEVER run anything you don't understand. Post back if you need help.

Code: Select all

## Install required packages on Ubuntu
sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

## Download Files
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin.tar.gz

## Unzip Files and Remove tarballs
tar -xvvf makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss.tar.gz
tar -xvvf makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin.tar.gz
rm makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss.tar.gz
rm makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin.tar.gz

## Build OSS and BIN
cd makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss/
make -f makefile.linux
cd ../makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin/
make -f makefile.linux
cd ..

## Remove Directories
sudo rm -r makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss/
sudo rm -r makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_bin/
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
skittle

Post by skittle »

grandy: you HAVE to cd into the source folders for make to work...
ie

$cd makemkv_v1.5.6_beta_oss/
make -f makefile.linux
xchema

Post by xchema »

You can use checkinstall to create .deb packages, but it would be great if the author give us official packages for major distributions when MakeMKV reaches stable status.
grandy

Post by grandy »

crowfax and skittle - thanks! now that I understand CD and make vs. sudo make, i managed to get this thing installed with your help.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Glad to have helped!
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
tankboy138

Post by tankboy138 »

crowfax, i followed your scripts completely, and after everything i cannot find MakeMKV. where would it be? i am using Ubuntu 10.04, could that be an issue?
skittle

!

Post by skittle »

tankboy: please read this post:
The application will be installed as "/usr/bin/makemkv".

Likewise read the makefile.linux if you want to know exactly what it does!

$cat makefile.linux
install: tmp/eula_accepted bin/$(ARCH)/makemkvcon
	rm -f /usr/bin/makemkvcon
	rm -f /usr/bin/cddump
	install -t /usr/bin bin/$(ARCH)/makemkvcon
vidsquibber

Post by vidsquibber »

tankboy138 wrote:crowfax, i followed your scripts completely, and after everything i cannot find MakeMKV. where would it be? i am using Ubuntu 10.04, could that be an issue?
I ran the same script in Ubuntu and didn't have any trouble finding the file, were you able to track it down. There are a few search tools you can use as long as you know what specific file you are looking for. if you need an example you can hit me up, otherwise I would just scope out the linked thread above me. One example I have experienced was when I purchased a new cloud server for my personal small business somehow MakeMKV got transferred in to that folder along with media file from a youtube to mp3 converter and I lost it. There are a few diagnostic tests you can run to find out where it went, like the cloud in my instance.
Last edited by vidsquibber on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toronto_matt

Post by toronto_matt »

For Debian/ Ubuntu instillation. Makes and installs .deb package.

First, install these packages:

aptitude install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

Download makemkv:

To make and install .deb:

tar zxvf makemkv_v1.6.10_bin.tar.gz
cd makemkv_v1.6.10_bin
make -f makefile.linux
checkinstall -D make -f makefile.linux install

tar zxvf makemkv_v1.6.10_oss.tar.gz
cd makemkv_v1.6.10_oss
make -f makefile.linux
checkinstall -D make -f makefile.linux install

To start program and stream:

Type "makemkv" into terminal. Start stream and point VLC to http://localhost:51000/stream/title0.ts

To uninstall run:

dpkg -r makemkv_v1.6.10_oss
dpkg -r makemkv_v1.6.10_bin

Tested with MOON Bluray and works 100% on Debian squeeze. Start stream on first title (ie: title1.ts).