DIFFICULTY RIPPING DAYBREAKERS REGION A BLU RAY

Everything related to MakeMKV
drsuchit

DIFFICULTY RIPPING DAYBREAKERS REGION A BLU RAY

Post by drsuchit »

Hi!

I am new to this.

I usually use makemkv to make a MKV and then convert it into a PS3 playable single layer blu ray using TSMUXER with the streams I want.

I have successfully backed up my Region A Zombieland and Edge of Darkness blu rays this way;

all of them play without a glitch (with full dts hd ma track )on my PS3.

When I tried the same with daybreakers region A I got a nasty surprise;

the disc ripped fine but on PS3 playback,there were two areas of a kind of a stutter/choppiness in playback,

similar to layer change lag on my early dvds.

Since lionsgate is a great BD+ fan,

can it be some new BD+ type?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
setarip_old

Re: DIFFICULTY RIPPING DAYBREAKERS REGION A BLU RAY

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Since lionsgate is a great BD+ fan, can it be some new BD+ type?

What do you base your statement on? As far as I know, thusfar, 20th Century Fox is the ONLY studio/label to use BD+
drsuchit

Post by drsuchit »

Dear setarip,

thanks for the quick reply.

Check this weblink

http://www.bdplusllc.com/news

This states

“The ability to protect IP is the most important issue facing our industry and the level of copyright protection Blu-ray offers is one of the major reasons we supported BD from the onset,” said Steve Beeks, COO and President, Lionsgate. “Adding this extra layer of protection has made us even more confident that we made the right choice for the studio and the public interest.”

I thus concluded that lionsgate is a big fan of BD+;

not that does this in any way prove that they are presently using BD+ in the said movie

however,that said,decisions such as what protection to impart to which film are probably taken in closed door meetings.

The unsuspecting public discovers it while trying to rip a movie for backup. Remember dvd copy protections?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

1) If this disc (or any other BluRay disc you loaded into MakeMKV) included "BD+" protection as well as the standard "AACS" protection, you'd see a message in the upper part of the MakeMKV window stating that it contained "BD+" as well as "AACS" (with an "AACS MKB" version number). You'd also see a notification in the lower window, stating that MakeMKV was attemtping to apply its .SVQ file to remove/circumvent the "BD+" protection.

Did you see any such notifications when you usede MakeMKV with the "Daybreakers" BluRay disc?

2) Although after a year or so of only Fox using "BD+", two or three additional studios stated they'd be signing on with Macrovision (now Rovi) to utilize "BD+", thusfar (unless "Daybreakers" is the first non-Fox "BD+"-protected BluRay), as far as I know, Fox is still the only studio/label to use it...

(Macrovision acquired BD+ Technologies a couple of years ago)
drsuchit

Post by drsuchit »

THANKS A TON FOR THE INFO!

I will retry DAYBREAKERS again today.

I will keep you guys posted on how it went
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

the disc ripped fine but on PS3 playback,there were two areas of a kind of a stutter/choppiness in playback

1) Does your original, commercial "Daybreakers" disc play properly on your PS3?

2) Does your initial .MKV (BEFORE processing with tsMuxeR) play properly?

3) Are you using the same blank media that you used with "Zombieland" and "Edge of Darkness"?

**You've piqued my curiosity! Please let me know at what points on the timeline you're seeing these delays - I'd like to check for myself...
drsuchit

Post by drsuchit »

Dear Setarip

Thanks again for your prompt assistance to my weird problem.

now to answer your specific queries:

the original disc plays fine on my ps3;no freeze/ stutters in those two areas;the disc also is clean with no scratches.

I forgot to tell you something else: I had also made another copy of daybreakers but this one had only the lossy track muxed to the video stream;this also had an identical stutter/freeze at exactly the same point on PS3 playback.Also,during the video freeze,the soundtrack also has a small corresponding gap;like watching an edited/spliced segment of a movie.

the media i use always is verbatim;the same type as my previous rips.

My original MKV was unfortunately deleted;thus I have no way of checking if the glitches are present when I play back the original MKV.

I plan to re rip daybreakers later on today.

I will keep you guys posted.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Again please, at what times on the timeline do the glitches appear?
drsuchit

Post by drsuchit »

Dear All,

I successfully ripped Daybreakers.

Before ripping ,I re installed all the programs.I re downloaded the latest MAKEMKV and TSMUXER.

The MAKEMKV window informed me that the disc has AACS 17.

There were no specific BD+ notifications of the type setarip mentioned.

The disc played fine on PS3.

ALL THE GLITCHES ARE GONE!

Thanks to all for helping me out.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Glad to hear it worked out for you ;>}