Displayed Information after Ripping and Settings

Everything related to MakeMKV
Transporter

Displayed Information after Ripping and Settings

Post by Transporter »

I have seen multiple screen shots of the MakeMKV screen interface of a DVD that has been ripped and is ready for making the decisions of which ripped files to create into the MKV File. I see text descriptions at the end of the right side of the file such as FPL_MainFeature and so forth. I never see this. Is this a settings issue on my part? Or only a feature of the paid version? Or maybe only shows up if ripping a Blu-Ray (which I haven't ripped yet as I am busy ripping all my standard DVDs)?
Woodstock

Re: Displayed Information after Ripping and Settings

Post by Woodstock »

A lot has to do with your settings. If you are not in Expert mode (Preferences->General), you won't see a lot of the pull-downs on the selection screen, because the screen is simplified. And most of the people hanging out here forget what the screen looks like without expert mode, including me. :roll:

The "FPL_MainFeature" is new, and it requires you to have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from java.com installed on your computer. Now that the Department of Homeland Security has removed Java from their "do not install unless you REALLY need it" security watch list, I've become "neutral" as to whether or not you should install it. But, if you don't, MakeMKV will NOT try to figure out which play list is "real" on Lionsgate disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Transporter

Post by Transporter »

So if one doesn't activate/enable Java for Lionsgate Films, would one start by selecting the largest file first and do a MakeMKV then test, then pick the next largest and so on until one finds the right one? Does this work, but can be time consuming?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For MOST movies, you can use the box info on run time to guess which is the right one (or right ones, when dealing with different cuts of a movie). Sometimes you end up doing this with the "$5 bin" movie collections, where you can only tell which movie is which by the length, or by playing the DVD.

When you're dealing with Lionsgate, you can have dozens or hundreds of titles that match the run time. One is correct. And The One can change, depending upon where you bought the movie. So you rely on people posting which is the proper play list, and hope it's right for your copy. Search here for "ender" and you'll see a typical discussion of a Lionsgate title.

Adding Java lets MakeMKV run the menu code on the disk, apparently, and it makes its guess based on that. I've tested it once, with Ender's Game, and it found the right title to rip. I avoid Lionsgate titles, though, so I can't vouch for its overall success.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging