live streaming Blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
Justinh

live streaming Blu-ray

Post by Justinh »

I'm trying to live stream a BD disc, but it is not working. I can stream a DVD fine.

The bottleneck seems to be that the video can't be read off the optical drive fast enough. I run MakeMKV, read the disc, hit Stream, open my web browser or VLC and open http://serverbox:51000/stream/title0.m2ts. The video starts after a few seconds and plays a few seconds then scrambles and pauses and repeats the stop and go.

A few observations/questions:
1) The "Information" block on the MakeMKV window is static - no information reflecting that data is being streamed. (Same with DVD.)
2) Does MakeMKV try to stream all the streams (audio, subtitles, etc) or only what is selected? (I'd like to stream the minimum needed to reduce network load.)
3) If MakeMKV can't read the disc fast enough to stream, how does a BD player box read a disc fast enough to play on a TV?

I've tried streaming from Windows Server 2008 R2, Win7, and Win8.1. Network load seems to top out at <7Mbps on my Gigabit Ethernet.

I'd appreciate some insights - Justin
Woodstock

Re: live streaming Blu-ray

Post by Woodstock »

I can't give you details on how it works, because I only tried the streaming feature once... It's easier for me to simply rip the disk and play from the media player.

That said, there have been discussions in the past about streaming, and one thing to watch for is when MakeMKV has a large buffer defined. The buffer is filled, and the disk spins down while MakeMKV streams the buffer out. When it asks for more data, the disk has to spin back up again.

Based on that, the suggestion I would make is to go into Preferences->IO, and set the Read buffer size to something like 256MB, rather than Auto.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

For the record, it seems to be a bandwidth limitation by MakeMKV. I can't get much more than 10Mbps, but a BD will need >36. I've tried the different buffer settings, but no diff. Maybe if it could buffer much more than the current max 1MB it would work. But I don't even know if the I/O setting affects streaming (I wouldn't think so).

Or maybe MakeMKV can't read the disc and decrypt it fast enough.
Nitrocloud

Post by Nitrocloud »

I have the same issue. The disk seems to be read only about 5x CD speed (~750KiB/s). Ripping, however, reads the disk at multiples of BD speed at 25MiB/s.

I would like streaming capability to be able to not have to rip a BD from my collection every time I want to watch it, and then later have to smoke it from the SSD later.
jones0610

Post by jones0610 »

MakeMKV on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. New to blu-ray.

Works fine. I can stream a blu-ray movie, create a decrypted file and then play it using VLC. No problems.

My issue is similar to nitrocloud's. My expectation/hope was that I could just put in a Blu-ray CD and play it, just like I do with DVD movies. That is, no need to create a huge file as part of the process. Is this even possible?

I suppose I could install a 5 TB HDD to get around this but my ONLY need is to play blu-ray movies that I own. I will never be burning copies and so on so this seems like a massive waste of disk space.

Various threads I've read on various forums indicate that it's possible to just play blu-rays without the streaming/file creation step. If so, could someone please pass along the procedure? Many thanks in advance!
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I don't know how it works in Linux, but in windows all you need to do is copy the libmmbd/libmmbd64 dlls in the MakeMKV directory into the VLC/Kodi directories as libaacs.dll and libbdplus.dll.

I'm assuming there's some similar functionality for Linux.

This is a script that applies the Windows method as symbolic links:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 10&t=15571
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

jones0610

Post by jones0610 »

Thanks for the quick response. I did those things before I posted. Based on what I'd read, these steps are required to get MakeMKS work on Linux

frankie@Ubuntu:/usr/lib$ ls -l |grep libmmbd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 27 21:55 libaacs.so.0 -> libmmbd.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 27 21:55 libbdplus.so.0 -> libmmbd.so.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39296 Dec 27 11:24 libmmbd.so.0

Package 'libaacs0' is not installed, so not removed. Did you mean 'libaacs0:i386'?