Registration Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
ertman

Registration Question

Post by ertman »

This might have been asked before, but I couldn't find, or at least I would like to verify what I have seen.

When purchasing a registration key, its not suppose to expire, but does this mean that I would not see any future warning about the software being expired? So I can use older versions of the software if need be, and not be forced into upgrading if it isn't necessary for me.

When registering with the software, does it require a internet connection or is it all an internal offline process? This is in a case where verification may not be possible or denied in the future.

I like the software for allowing me to use my collection as I see fit, but would like to verify that when I purchase the license, I can use it perpetuity regardless of any extreme situation that arises outside of my control.

Many thanks,
Woodstock

Re: Registration Question

Post by Woodstock »

The key does not expire, but, if you have enabled "Allow contacting web server for updates" in Preferences->General, a version check will be done on start-up, and you will get a message about newer versions if they exist. The key does enable you to run older versions even when new ones come out, though.

An internet connection is NOT required to run MakeMKV, though. You will lose one feature without it - the ability to load disk-specific SVQ files automatically, when you need them. You would see this if you load a disk with a version of BD+ encryption that your current version can handle on its own; This will be shown in the log, with a message about "No FUTs", and it is likely that the video will be unusable.