Amusing, if inaccurate, descriptions of movies...

Everything related to MakeMKV
swismiself

Amusing, if inaccurate, descriptions of movies...

Post by swismiself »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, having just built my first media server. My intent is to have all my photos, music, home videos, and movies, digitized to stream over LAN using Plex. I'm rural and therefore have limited data, so no streaming services for me, sadly. :(

Anyway, I just tested my first disk: Ferngully, the last rainforest. So here's an amusing one

The title says "Titler"
Director Johnathan Bekemeier
Writer/Cast Greg Roman
The description says: A cross-dressing Adolf Hitler sings tasteless, but humorous musical numbers.

While that sounds like a description of a movie I'd LOVE to watch, it sadly does not describe Ferngully.

What gives?

Thanks,
Mel
Woodstock

Re: Amusing, if inaccurate, descriptions of movies...

Post by Woodstock »

What is showing you that information?

I ask because MakeMKV only puts in meta data found on the disk, and that typically is things like "_STATISTICS_TAGS:" and "_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP". When the file is being played in VLC, the meta data can be viewed by clicking on Tools->Media Information.

However, some tools will do an online look-up to match a title against a database, when presented with a file.
swismiself

Post by swismiself »

Plex.

Woodstock wrote:What is showing you that information?

I ask because MakeMKV only puts in meta data found on the disk, and that typically is things like "_STATISTICS_TAGS:" and "_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP". When the file is being played in VLC, the meta data can be viewed by clicking on Tools->Media Information.

However, some tools will do an online look-up to match a title against a database, when presented with a file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Plex definitely does an online lookup of meta information - it's one of the features of the program that makes people love it so much. I've seen people request that such a lookup be added to other applications.

They must have some colorful information in that database... :)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Not particularly familiar with Plex, but if its rules are anything like Emby, the naming of the file will have a bearing on how it's identified & metadata is scraped. 'FernGully- The Last Rainforest (1992).ext' would likely get an accurate match, while others might get your 1st result. There's probably a WIKI article on recommended Plex naming conventions somewhere.

As for the 1st result... you got me curious. It's just a short, sounds suitably bizarre & can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELRYZUN1kM
swismiself

Post by swismiself »

d00zah wrote:Not particularly familiar with Plex, but if its rules are anything like Emby, the naming of the file will have a bearing on how it's identified & metadata is scraped. 'FernGully- The Last Rainforest (1992).ext' would likely get an accurate match, while others might get your 1st result. There's probably a WIKI article on recommended Plex naming conventions somewhere.

As for the 1st result... you got me curious. It's just a short, sounds suitably bizarre & can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELRYZUN1kM

Oh thank you! I can't wait to watch.