feature request: skip bad sectors

Everything related to MakeMKV
ocmyhome

feature request: skip bad sectors

Post by ocmyhome »

I don't see this option currently for the MakMKV and ripping a blu ray, but it'd be nice to have the option to skip a bad sector of the blu ray.
Woodstock

Re: feature request: skip bad sectors

Post by Woodstock »

Often asked for, but not likely to happen.

Players bypass defects in optical disks by software design. But I have not seen any players that would make that exception for a stream read from a file. I've tried it with several, reading from DVD ISOs that were generated with the "skip errors" option of the dd utility on Linux, and the players always stopped playing when they hit the defective area of the "disk".
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Woodstock wrote:...and the players always stopped playing when they hit the defective area of the "disk".
And for this reason I hope MakeMKV never offers this as a feature. I can only imagine the number of posts from novice users saying MakeMKV has a bug which produces unplayable files.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Woodstock wrote:Often asked for, but not likely to happen.

Players bypass defects in optical disks by software design. But I have not seen any players that would make that exception for a stream read from a file. I've tried it with several, reading from DVD ISOs that were generated with the "skip errors" option of the dd utility on Linux, and the players always stopped playing when they hit the defective area of the "disk".
yorgo wrote:
Woodstock wrote:...and the players always stopped playing when they hit the defective area of the "disk".
And for this reason I hope MakeMKV never offers this as a feature. I can only imagine the number of posts from novice users saying MakeMKV has a bug which produces unplayable files.
I can't say I've done it with hardware players, but I've done it many times with software players and small unreadable areas are treated no differently than unreadable sectors on the DVD itself. They produced corrupted frames but then resume normal playback, see my comments in other threads.

Also skipping bad sectors is fine if one maps them and has the ability to fill them in later (again as per my other comments elsewhere).