Question About Which Episodes To Rip From Blu-ray TV Series

Everything related to MakeMKV
silentbob417

Question About Which Episodes To Rip From Blu-ray TV Series

Post by silentbob417 »

I've been backing up my Blu-ray collection when I was ripping my movies on my MacBook Pro with my Blu-ray drive in an external bay I experienced a/v glitches where the video and the audio would freeze for a second and then skip a few seconds this would happen every 20-90 seconds. But I put my Blu-ray drive back in my Windows Machine and have had no issues so far... I've backed up about 6 movies just to make sure I had no issues and they've come out fine.

I decided to see how backing up Blu-ray TV shows would go so I started with my Battlestar Galactica Collection. I popped in disc 1 from season 1 and picked out the 4 episodes, after it was done ripping i played the episodes to make sure they worked when I realized there were only 2 episodes on disc 1 and that it was in fact 2 copies of the same episodes. I then popped in the next disc and saw the same pattern 5 episodes 2 copies of each episode. I'm not sure how I want to proceed since I'm not sure if there is any difference between them or not. I'm not sure if any one else has seen this before or not but if anyone could let me know what the difference is between the 2 copies of the same episode I would appreciate it. I have tried comparing them however they seem to be identical so i'm not sure why there would be two copies of every episode the same length, size, language, etc... Looking now I notice the first disc the one set is .2 GB larger... and the second disc the one set has chapters listed the other set does not, however they are the same size and have the same audio and subtitle options.

I know this is a pretty specific question and it might just be this particular series with this unusual episode doubling but if anyone could help me understand the difference between the two copies of each episode I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
MacBook Pro 15" \2.2Ghz i7 Quad Core \4GB DDR3 1333 \128GB SSD + 750GB 5400RPM
Windows Machine \3.2Ghz i7 Hexa-Core \6GB DDR3 1600 \128GB SSD + 6 Drives = 7TB Storage + 6TB external array \Blu-ray/HD-DVD Drive
silentbob417

Re: Question About Which Episodes To Rip From Blu-ray TV Ser

Post by silentbob417 »

I just popped Doomsday in and noticed the same thing where the video was shown twice, once with chapters once without but other than that it's the same size and same audio and subtitle options.
MacBook Pro 15" \2.2Ghz i7 Quad Core \4GB DDR3 1333 \128GB SSD + 750GB 5400RPM
Windows Machine \3.2Ghz i7 Hexa-Core \6GB DDR3 1600 \128GB SSD + 6 Drives = 7TB Storage + 6TB external array \Blu-ray/HD-DVD Drive
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

I've seen this on some of my Stargate DVDs. I picked the topmost version of each episode (ripping with AnyDVD + CloneDVD, CloneDVD presents you with a list of titles a bit similar to the MakeMKV list). Both versions of the episodes had chapters though (IIRC).

Personally I'd pick the version with chapters.
Jabatam

Post by Jabatam »

I know this is old but I'm relatively new to MakeMKV. However, I have recently began backing up my BDs as well, including TV shows, and have found a similar "problem" with every single season of all the DC-based comic book shows I watch (Arrow, The Flash, and Gotham). Every single disc has an extra copy of each episode, complete with the same number of chapters, running time, language/subtitle options, etc. I don't know why and it was kind of a pain to rip them all and sift through them to figure out how to label and sort them.

Vikings was similar but the "extra" episodes had a longer running time or something like that...kind of like a director's cut of some episodes.
Aast656

Post by Aast656 »

In these cases I use the Xin1generator program, once I get an unprotected ISO of the BR (since the previous program cannot work with original protected BR)

This program generates the separate tracks of the movie (audio, vídeo, subtitles...), which can be joined with MKVMerge of MKVToonix.

For each movie it includes a complete edition and then the different parts of the other editions available on the BR, so it is possible to select the edition to be played (theatrical, extended, etc.) and even compare the differences between the editions.

Once checked, I use again the program but only selecting the editions I'm intereses in to get the definite MKV file.