Take into account drive speed changing

Everything related to MakeMKV
Muzer

Take into account drive speed changing

Post by Muzer »

On Blu-ray at least (don't know about DVD, haven't tried), rip speed seems to increase as I go on - and then with dual-layer discs, decrease gradually after the end of the first layer. Although I haven't verified this, I assume the reason is that Blu-ray stores more data towards the outside of the disc as a larger area of disc passes the laser per unit time; so more data is read per unit time.

So, would it be possible to take into account this difference in BDs (and DVDs if it applies to those too) when calculating estimated times? My dump of Avatar was a good half hour quicker than the program expected when I first ran it, which is a pretty big chunk of time to save. I don't know how complex this would be, but if it's not too complex, can it be implemented at some point?
setarip_old

Re: Take into account drive speed changing

Post by setarip_old »

@muzer

Hi!

You'll see that same type of drastically reducing total time with EVERY program that reports percentage of completion progress of reading from and/or writing to a drive or disc - especially at the very beginning of the task when a drive is "spinning up"...