2nd Audio gone

Everything related to MakeMKV
left-y

2nd Audio gone

Post by left-y »

Thank you for MakeMKV, this might have been discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find it. What has happened to the second audio, when a blu-ray is opened I see the 5.1 and then I select the MA as well. I encode my movies with Handbrake and until the last update of MakeMKV all my movies I imported into iTunes had 2 audio tracks.

Now there is only one track which is "prefer AC3 Passthrough" Why is the second track not showing up?
Woodstock

Re: 2nd Audio gone

Post by Woodstock »

There are some audio track types that handbrake cannot handle. There are some that are only available if you are using one of their "nightly build" versions, because it was added after the release version was finalized.

If you play the MKV file with something with wider audio support, such as VLC from videolan.org, what audio tracks are available?
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

(May be a stupid suggestion, but...) Also, by default, Handbrake may only import one audio track. In Handbrake, on the Audio tab, click the "Add Track" button, and choose "All Remaining Tracks". Does it appear?
left-y

Post by left-y »

Thank you for the reply guys, first off I have not tried play back in any other program besides iTunes. Previously my preset in Handbrake was Apple 3 with a few video tweaks. Audio always showed the 2 tracks in which I selected in MakeMVP but in iTunes it only shows the passthrough as of late. Previously both audio tracks were available in iTunes, then about 4-6 weeks ago I noticed only the passthrough was available. I believe it was around the last update to MakeMVP.

I am in the process of ripping my 700 Blu-ray collection in to HD digital stored on large Hard drives 8) As I mentioned, about 4-6 weeks ago I noticed just the passthrough channel instead of the two audio tracks I always check.

@ Woodstock, Ill try another program. It may take some time because all my files are on a PC with just iTunes installed. I'll have to bring a MP4 file back to my workstation for testing purposes.

@ Yugatha, yes all the audio tracks that I select are showing in the audio in Handbrake.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

VLC doesn't care about iTunes. But I'm saying you should try playing the MKV file that came from the disk, prior to running it through handbrake. We really need to figure out if the problem lies with MakeMKV or handbrake. I suspect it's the settings for handbrake, but let's be methodical. :)
left-y

Post by left-y »

VLC shows both audio tracks just as I suspected. iTunes showed both audio tracks 4-6 weeks ago. I haven't upgraded iTunes in several months so that can't be the problem. I don't recall updating Handbrake in the past 4-6 weeks and all the settings are the same as I've used in the past 6 months. I have updated MakeMVK in the past 4-6 weeks. The problem is what has changed in the program that iTunes only sees 1 audio track?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, NOW we're getting into which audio codecs are supported by iTunes, and that's something I do not know a lot about.

Using VLC to play the m4v file should let you see what was encoded into the file.

One anomaly I've seen with iTunes is that some features in an MP4 file are ONLY available if the extension is "m4v". But, if you're using one of the iPhone/iPod presets in handbrake, that should not be an issue.
left-y

Post by left-y »

What I don't understand though, is all the movies I have encoded 4-6 weeks ago do show both audio channels in iTunes. It has been only since one of MakeMVK's update that this has changed. In Handbrake, it shows both audio channels, so that confuses me even more, that makes me think it is either Handbrake or iTunes.