Elementary Season 1 Episode 3 (US)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
IronRod

Elementary Season 1 Episode 3 (US)

Post by IronRod » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:45 am

S1D1 of Elementary. MakeMKV easily rips three of the four episodes (1, 2, and 4) but it can't do #3. I've tried auto and manual but either way it begins reading the track, hits corruption in the VOB, tries to get around it, and then finally about half-way along, the DVD stops spinning and it locks up my computer. I have to eject the DVD in order to regain control.

I then tried just copying the various VOBs in an attempt to join them but that failed as it said most of them were "encrypted".

Yet, that one episode appears to play fine when done so from the DVD.

Ideas?

Woodstock

Re: Elementary Season 1 Episode 3 (US)

Post by Woodstock » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:26 pm

It would be interesting to see the debug log from the failure, but usually this means there is an unreadable section on your disk. That should NOT lock up the computer, though - it should simply report the problems and move on to the next title...

MrVideo

Post by MrVideo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:53 pm

IronRod wrote:Yet, that one episode appears to play fine when done so from the DVD.
I've had that issue with a Blu-ray, where trying to copy it with ImgBurn resulted in hitting a bad area of the disc. It would play just fine. IIRC, DVDFab got around the error, just like the player.

As a test, what happens when you use ImgBurn to copy the disc, as well as just copying the VOB file from the disc to your computer's HDD? Yes, the copies will be encrypted, but we are just trying to determine if the media has an issue.

IronRod

Post by IronRod » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:14 am

As a test, what happens when you use ImgBurn to copy the disc, as well as just copying the VOB file from the disc to your computer's HDD? Yes, the copies will be encrypted, but we are just trying to determine if the media has an issue.
ImgBurn initially complains about it being copy-protected but I can continue past that. It reaches about half-way and then reports sector errors.

Attempts to just copy the files produced similar results. I was successful at copying everything from the disk except for one VOB (VTS_O1_4.VOB). When copying this VOB it reached 72% and then stopped. I tried to cancel the copy but it wouldn't stop. I finally had to eject the disk to regain control.

I then brought up VLC, selected the problem episode, and just let it play to see what would happen. At 14:45 into the episode it froze and finally died.

Clearly a media issue.

Thanks all.