Produce .mkv from a single .m2ts file?

Everything related to MakeMKV
MilesAhead

Produce .mkv from a single .m2ts file?

Post by MilesAhead »

Is it possible or will it be in the near future to produce an .mkv from a single .m2ts input file? Sometimes I mux the .mkv to .m2ts to play with a set top box. If I could later get the .mkv back using the .m2ts file as input it would save some storage and/or processing.

NomadCF

Re: Produce .mkv from a single .m2ts file?

Post by NomadCF »

I'd like this to see MakeMKV be able to do this too :)

But in the mean time, you can always use eac3to to breakdown the M2TS, into it's parts and remux them back together again. You could also just use tsmuxer(GUI) to demux the file also, But I like the extra processing/clean up done by eac3to.

So again demux with program XXX, then remux with mkvmerge. This can also be scripted out if need be for an automated tasks.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I didn't think of mkvmerge. Thanks for pointing out that approach.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@MilesAhead

Hi!

Yes, (as suggested by "NomadCF") use tsMuxeR(GUI) - but no need to demux and then remux.

Simply drag & drop the .MKV onto tsMuxeR and select "BluRay" at the BOTTOM of the window.

MakeMKV will accept the BluRay "package" created this way and convert it to .MKV...
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

setarip_old wrote:@MilesAhead

Hi!

Yes, (as suggested by "NomadCF") use tsMuxeR(GUI) - but no need to demux and then remux.

Simply drag & drop the .MKV onto tsMuxeR and select "BluRay" at the BOTTOM of the window.

MakeMKV will accept the BluRay "package" created this way and convert it to .MKV...
Thanks for the suggestion. I was doing it that way before. But either way you end up with a 2 stage process.
As it is, it's not so bad because if I can specify the source and destination drives I can use different
physical drives. Runs much smoother and faster that way. I have a couple of external drives that
I use as source and destination. Muxes run with the main system internal drive almost dormant.
Only thing that runs it up is when I have to use Popcorn audio converter since it uses the temp
folder on the system partition. I'll have to look and see if I can change that setting.