'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dzl13

'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Post by dzl13 »

I'm having a terrible time lately with getting 'Uncorrectable Error' messages for a multitude of movies. I have used v1.9.6 through 1.9.9 and no changes. I have failed on Terminator, Pitch Perfect, Lion King, Downton Abbey, and Duff, all BR's. These represent quite a few different companies and I assume a lot of different co protections. Any thoughts? Error messages below:

Saving 1 titles into directory D:/
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '11541282816'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '11541282816'
Failed to save title 0 to file D://THE_TERMINATOR_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: 'Uncorrectable Error' across a multitude of BR's, Help!

Post by Woodstock »

Multiple disks can be the drive itself - it can't focus on the data. Sometimes the first thing to go bad is the ability to read the second layer of a multi-layer disk.

Sometimes the drive's electronics are confused, and a reset will clear the problem up. Sometimes it's dirt... cleaning the drive will fix this.

But, sometimes, you really do have multiple disks with problems. What happens if you rip a DVD instead of a BD?
dzl13

Post by dzl13 »

Downton was a DVD (unfortunately) and it copied 3/4 titles, 3 copied, 1 failed. I have been able to copy other DVD's though. This is an external player BTW. To be clear Scsi Error means it can't physically read it right? Not that it's a copyright or software error?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Correct, "uncorrectable read error" is not software or copy protection. Key exchange errors can be software (happens on BD), but most have a basis in a physical read error.

The constant refrain of "clean the disk" plays in the background .....

Others cower from this idea, but I clean with Pledge furniture polish, because it will also fill in small scratches. Just make sure you wipe with a clean, soft cotton or microfiber cloth (NOT PAPER TOWEL!!!!), and let the water carrier flash off, before putting the disk in the drive.