Not recognizing new version

Everything related to MakeMKV
jketch

Not recognizing new version

Post by jketch »

I recently tried to upgrade to 1.5.2 to extend the expiration date on makeMKV, but the new version from the download page says that it is still to old when I try to start it up. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: I am on 64 bit Windows 7. AnyDVD is installed but currently disabled.
setarip_old

Re: Not recognizing new version

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Did you follow the instructions regarding the beta key at the following link?:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 1053#p3548
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

jketch wrote:I recently tried to upgrade to 1.5.2 to extend the expiration date on makeMKV, but the new version from the download page says that it is still to old when I try to start it up. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Check your computer clock, 1.5.2 expires on 16th May of 2010.
Tellurian

Post by Tellurian »

I only recently became aware of this cool software (v.1.5.2) and installed it (03.30.10)to test out.
The installation showed an expiration date of 04.29.10 (even after applying the beta key that is 'Sticky' posted).
I thought we were supposed to have 60 days to try it... Is this from the time of installation, or from the beta release date?
I have downloaded and installed v.1.5.4, checked for a new beta key, and the program is still set to expire 04.29.10!
After reading through this forum, I am still confused (uninformed) about how the expiration date did not extend to the posted May date.
If the time period is from the release date, shouldn't we still have some time added after installing v.1.5.4?
The program (from my limited exposure with it) appears to be an excellent candidate for purchase; however, the vague and contradictory information concerning licenses / expiration dates, gives me second-thoughts.
Can anyone give a definitive explanation of this issue?

Windows XP Professional x64 - SP2
Amd Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
3.9 Gb Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV
NVIDIA nForce 630a
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Tellurian

Hi!

As stated in the "News and Announcements":
MakeMKV is free while in beta

As stated on a main page all features of MakeMKV are free while program is in beta. You may purchase the full activation key if you like the program and want to show your support, but you also may use the temporary beta key.

The current beta key is valid until May 2010. Please check back for updated key on this page.

I would interpret this as meaning May 1, 2010 is the current target date for the program to "go commercial" - but if that doesn't happen and it continues in beta testing after May 1, a new temporary free key will be made available.

Glad to hear you've discovered MakeMKV, sorry to hear that you just recently discovered it. I've thoroughly enjoyed testing and exploring it for more than a year now ;>}
Tellurian

Post by Tellurian »

Thank you for the clarification of this issue.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Tellurian

My pleasure ;>}