MKV thumbnail

Everything related to MakeMKV
ldoodle
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

MKV thumbnail

Post by ldoodle »

Hey,

Since ripping with 1.9.7 I notice the resulting MKV has a thumbnail image when viewing in Windows. Is that a change in 1.9.7?

Can you add one for previous rips?
Woodstock
Posts: 10980
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by Woodstock »

If you're referring to what appears in Explorer when you point it at a directory, that is usually because you've installed something that allows Explorer to open the file. Maybe a codec pack to let you play MKV files in Media Player?
ldoodle
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by ldoodle »

No, nothing installed. As I say, since using the latest version, my MKVs have the thumbnail. Anything before the latest version, doesn't:

http://i.imgur.com/tP9queA.png
ldoodle
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by ldoodle »

I think I've worked out what's going on.

All my blu rips seem to have the the thumbnail, and none of the dvd rips do.

Can you add a thumbnail to dvd rips?
Woodstock
Posts: 10980
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by Woodstock »

On BD, there is a "cover art track" (actually just a picture) available, and that is optionally copied through to the MKV file. I'm not sure that DVDs have that.... haven't looked in a LONG time!
ldoodle
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by ldoodle »

Woodstock wrote:On BD, there is a "cover art track" (actually just a picture) available, and that is optionally copied through to the MKV file. I'm not sure that DVDs have that.... haven't looked in a LONG time!
I did think that, but I don't select the jpg file when ripping anyway. Is there no tool you can use to get it to save a thumbnail in the MKV file?
Woodstock
Posts: 10980
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by Woodstock »

mkvmerge from the mkvtoolnix utilities can put just about anything into an MKV file.... :)
Krawk
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 am

Re: MKV thumbnail

Post by Krawk »

If you download a codec pack such as K-Lite, and do not want to install all that stuff, you can disable everything except the thumbnails option. It will install it and all your media files will have thumbnails.