Some titles missing, even when reading from decrypted files

Everything related to MakeMKV
BigstickCarpet

Some titles missing, even when reading from decrypted files

Post by BigstickCarpet »

I'm trying to rip the movie "28 Days Later" (widescreen special edition), along with all of the special features tiles (alternate endings, behind the scenes, etc.). But only 3 of the titles show up in the list. There should be several more. I noticed that there were a few messages about some titles being skipped (see below), so I assumed this was due to a copy protection scheme on the disc that isn't supported by MakeMKV. So, instead, I used AnyDVD to rip the disc to decrypted VOB files. Then I ran MakeMKV again and tried to rip from those VOB files instead of the actual disc, but again only 3 of the titles showed up, and the same error messages appeared. I don't understand what could be causing these messages, since there is no longer any encryption that could be stopping the files from being readable.

Here are the messages from the log:

MakeMKV v1.5.2 beta win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Cell 34 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #0 was added (33 cell(s), 1:52:45)
Title 3 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #1 was skipped
Cell 2 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:04:13)
Cell 2 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #3 was added (1 cell(s), 0:18:10)
Title 4 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #4 was skipped
Title 8 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #5 was skipped
Title 2 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #6 was skipped
Title 5 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #7 was skipped
Title #8 has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 20 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation sucessfully completed
setarip_old

Re: Some titles missing, even when reading from decrypted files

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Have you tried actually creating and playing .MKVs from the three Titles (some of which are noted to be "multiple PGCs) to see what, if anything is actually missing?
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

I agree with our backward pirates friend. I've had cases where I expected more separate titles but found the content was all in the titles offered.
Also, some of the extra material may be short, so you might want to reduce the minimum filesize setting to just a few seconds. I think the default is 120 seconds.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

Hi!
I agree with our backward pirates friend.
Just so you know - I chose that reversed name well over a decade ago (perhaps closer to two), in order to show my disdain for those who pirate software, games, etc.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

OK, instead of backward pirates, we'll interpret it correctly as "anti-pirates."

Sorry, couldn't resist the play on words in my earlier post. :wink:
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

No problem (Although I've never previously been openly accused of being backwards) ;>}
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

BigstickCarpet wrote:Title 3 in VTS 1 is a Multi-PGC title
Title #1 was skipped
I have the same problem with an Aquarium DVD I have. On this DVD there should be six titles (three different aquariums, and the option of full tank or close up on all three). When I scan the DVD with MakeMKV, all titles are Multi-PGC titles, and so they're all skipped, and there's nothing left to rip at all.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Multi-pgc titles are used for interactive content, not for movies. They are very much like a menus where playback is assembled from short clips. It's unlikely that MakeMKV would ever extract these as "real" titles are never encoded in such way.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mike admin wrote:Multi-pgc titles are used for interactive content, not for movies. They are very much like a menus where playback is assembled from short clips. It's unlikely that MakeMKV would ever extract these as "real" titles are never encoded in such way.
Ah. So it's really the disc that has been mastered improperly in these cases? OK, I guess I can live with not using MakeMKV on the (very) few titles that has this issue.

I did look a little bit into the Aquarium DVD I have, and it turns out that the full tank and the close up are actually the same title. The disc has three titles, one for each aquarium. Each title has two chapters, and the close up video starts at chapter two. If you select full tank in the menu, the video will stop (or play from the beginning, depending on your selection) when you get to the end of chapter one. I noticed this behaviour with the Frost/Nixon Watergate interviews DVD I have as well. The title is over 100 minutes long, but the interview only lasts 75 minutes, then you return to the main menu. If you select the bonus materials from the menu, the same title will play, but it'll start at the 75 minute mark and play to the end of the title.

I haven't tried ripping this title with MakeMKV yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this also turns out to be a multi-pgc title which MakeMKV won't rip.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

trondmm wrote:
mike admin wrote:Multi-pgc titles are used for interactive content, not for movies. They are very much like a menus where playback is assembled from short clips. It's unlikely that MakeMKV would ever extract these as "real" titles are never encoded in such way.
Ah. So it's really the disc that has been mastered improperly in these cases? OK, I guess I can live with not using MakeMKV on the (very) few titles that has this issue.
I take it back. Just recently we've seen discs where some "multi-pgc" titles are in fact a single-PGC titles with additional junk PGC(s). Please send all IFO files from this disc to support@makemkv.com compressed with archiver of your choice.