Subtitles problem : doesn't appear on my Panasonic or Oppo

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
melahel

Subtitles problem : doesn't appear on my Panasonic or Oppo

#1 Post by melahel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:36 am

Since few months, all my subtitles doesn't appear on my Panasonic Plasma TV (2 different model) or on my Oppo players (BD103 and BD103D)
I use makemkv since 2 years and didn't have any problem but from the third last release I can't have any subtitle.

Thank you for your help

Woodstock

Re: Subtitles problem : doesn't appear on my Panasonic or Op

#2 Post by Woodstock » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Are the subtitles from a bluray disk?

A lot of TVs can only handle TEXT subtitles, unless they're burned into the video. There are a few that can handle the graphic subtitles in DVD format.

The Oppo should work with the PGS subtitles from and MKV file, if the firmware is up to date.

melahel

#3 Post by melahel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:08 pm

All my materials are up to date for the firmware.
The source files are iso file or rip of BD
When I'm playing the mkv file on VLC with my computer, all the subtitles are available and working well but not in my TV or Oppo

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Without knowing the TV brand and model, it is impossible to say whether or not it supports PGS subtitles in MKV files. I have not seen a lot of information on which TVs can do PGS, but it was "not many" when I last bought a smart TV a year or so ago.

As for the OPPO, I find a lot of messages on various forums in the last year or so that say MKV+PGS works fine.... if the file is on a flash drive plugged into the OPPO. Reading it across the network depends upon the server hosting the file.

For compatibility, you should rip Bluray disks with the "WDTV" profile, or your own profile that includes using GZIP compression on the subtitle tracks. A lot of players only support PGS subtitles in MKV files if they are compressed.

If you don't know about profiles yet, you're not using them, because they're turned off by default.

Chetwood

#5 Post by Chetwood » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:31 am

Woodstock wrote:I have not seen a lot of information on which TVs can do PGS
Wasn't it (and isn't it still) none? Haven't read about ANY Smart-TV so far that's capable of doing this.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

melahel

#6 Post by melahel » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 am

My TV are PANASONIC TX-P60ZT60E and 50ST60 and my NAS a Synology DS1813+

Woodstock

#7 Post by Woodstock » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Wasn't it (and isn't it still) none? Haven't read about ANY Smart-TV so far that's capable of doing this.
That is the general impression I got last year, but I haven't been in the market since then, so I try not to say it can't happen, but it wasn't. A year ago, a lot of TVs couldn't handle DVD (VOBSUB) subtitles properly, and PGS, if it worked at all, only did it when playing M2TS files.

But things can change in a model year...
My TV are PANASONIC TX-P60ZT60E and 50ST60 and my NAS a Synology DS1813+
You have the same server I use, and it works just fine serving up PGS subtitles to devices that support them. Samsung smart TVs aren't in that group, no clue about Panasonic.

Personally, I use handbrake to process everything after ripping, with different targets. If it isn't going to be played via chosen media players, it's converted to MP4 format and the PGS subtitles appropriate to the language included are burned in. The media players can handle MKV files and a variety of subtitle formats. Things like Chromecast can only handle text-based, and you don't get that often on DVD or BD.

The Oppo should work, though... although there are complaints on the Oppo boards that it doesn't, especially with files served from Synology hardware.

Chetwood

#8 Post by Chetwood » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 am

Woodstock wrote:But things can change in a model year...
Obviously. I'm still under the impression PGS is no priority for those developers.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch