Newbie - struggling with files

Everything related to MakeMKV
ratty

Newbie - struggling with files

#1 Post by ratty » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:06 pm

Ok, take it easy guys. Ive been trying to find a way of backing up my BR's to my NAS and was hoping that MKV would do the trick. Unfortunately, although theres a load of directories and files been created, nothing seems to be able to play them.

Ive tried VLC, Kodi, MPlayer to name a few. Im unfortunately now at the end of my trial period and cant backup any more. Before i pay for the key, i would like to make sure that this works!

So first off, what file(s) should i point the players at? I seem to have a mass of them in various directories that dont do anything?

Woodstock

Re: Newbie - struggling with files

#2 Post by Woodstock » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Last I tested VLC with a Bluray "backup" directory was v2.1x, and it work fine... but you had to know which M2TS file you wanted to watch, or which one was the menu that led to the other files.

Did you select the "decrypt" option when doing the backup? Most "free" player software won't work if the files are still encrypted.

ratty

#3 Post by ratty » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:23 am

Woodstock wrote:Last I tested VLC with a Bluray "backup" directory was v2.1x, and it work fine... but you had to know which M2TS file you wanted to watch, or which one was the menu that led to the other files.

Did you select the "decrypt" option when doing the backup? Most "free" player software won't work if the files are still encrypted.
Ok, license paid for, latest version downloaded, 'decrpyt' selected....now what?

How on earth do i play back the movie? VLC wont touch it and KODI cant find it so either im a complete dumbass or something is wrong. :roll: :roll:

MKV creates a whole bunch of directories and files. Which one is the backup/playback file for the movie?

Please help........

Theresa

#4 Post by Theresa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Interesting that I have never had a single problem playing an mkv with VLC.

ratty

#5 Post by ratty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:32 am

Theresa wrote:Interesting that I have never had a single problem playing an mkv with VLC.
Care to help?

Which file do you play or does vlc just find the right one?