Bug Report: three Blu-rays are causing chapter 00 at 0:00:00

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Klaus89

Bug Report: three Blu-rays are causing chapter 00 at 0:00:00

Post by Klaus89 »

Hi,
I have ripped lots of Blu-rays with 1.9.4, but with three Blu-rays I have problems with the chapters: Chapter 01 should be on 0:00:00, but 0:00:00 isn't shown in the list in MakeMKV and then called Chapter 00 in MPC-HC and MediaInfo.

Do you need any files to fix that?

Klaus
ndjamena

Re: Bug Report: three Blu-rays are causing chapter 00 at 0:0

Post by ndjamena »

That's deliberate.

The first chapter in the Blu Ray started well into the movie, not at 0:00:00 so makemkv has created a chapter to fill the gap. Since it's not "Chapter 1" on the disc it calls it "Chapter 0" instead.

There's an option in the profile that tells MakeMKV NOT to add the extra chapter, but if you use it your first chapter will begin partway through the movie.
Klaus89

Post by Klaus89 »

Are you sure this is deliberate?
Every other Blu-ray starts at 0:00:00 and it is called Chapter 01. Even if I rename the other chapters, the first one is called Chapter 00 in MPC-HC and MediaInfo.
Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 are two of the three discs.

Please help me to find the option you mentioned. I don't find it.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\default.mmcp.xml"

You'll need a text editor with administrator privileges...

But I'm not sure you want to do that...

On the actual Blu Ray discs there ARE no chapters at 00:00:00, that's what makes them different from the other discs.

The Blu Rays themselves are authored differently and MakeMKV is attempting to correct the discrepancy by adding another chapter at the start of the movie.

insertFirstChapter00IfMissing=
Klaus89

Post by Klaus89 »

I think it would be better to call the added Chapter "Chapter 01" and the true chapters which are the Blu-ray should start at Chapter 02, ...

Maybe better: We could ask the developer to implement, that a chapter is added to the list and you can name it as you want.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with renumbering the existing chapters is that some chapter tracks contain actual chapter NAMES in addition to numbers, like "Prologue", "Opening", etc. If you renumber the chapters, these labels will be wrong. It is "safer" to add a chapter numbered zero.

But I'm sure Mike will see your suggestion.
Klaus89

Post by Klaus89 »

Ok, I see. The best solution is to add the new chapter to the Chapterlist in MakeMKV, so you can edit its text from "Chapter 00" to whatever you like.

Mike, please add this feature to MakeMKV, I already bought it, to support you ...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I agree.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The option is set in the profile, BUT, you can change the profile easily enough using the GUI.

That means the option isn't static and chapter 00 is only a provisional chapter.

It could be programmed to add or remove the Chapter 00 element from the tree as the profile changes like it does with audio encode tracks, which is probably what needs to happen.