Thumbnails

Everything related to MakeMKV
boristm

Thumbnails

#1 Post by boristm » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 am

When I view avi's or mp4's in explorer I see a thumbnail from the movie as the icon for the file. With matroska mkv this doesn't seem to be the case. Instead I get a black circle with a black arrow head inside.
Is it possible to get a thumbnail from the movie itself instead of this circle?

Woodstock

Re: Thumbnails

#2 Post by Woodstock » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 am

You need to install a CODEC package to allow Windows to read MKV files. There are several out there, but you have to decide whether or not you trust something downloaded from untrusted sources.

Microsoft is expanding media player support (which is the basis for the thumbnails working in Explorer) to include MKV files in Windows 10.

Be warned that adding the CODECs will SLOW EXPLORER DOWN. The more file types it "knows about", the more time it will spend analyzing every file it sees, just to change the icon. When directories have hundreds of files in them, it can be painfully slow opening a directory!

boristm

#3 Post by boristm » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:24 am

You make a good case for not having thumbnails, I appreciate your advice.

ndjamena

#4 Post by ndjamena » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:58 am

You could always try it out and see.

I've barely noticed on my PC, but I've read the number of cores in a CPU can effect how noticeable the slow down is.

The worst that happens in my case is a slight delay when playing back a video... and you can't delete a folder while thumbnails are being created. I installed "Unlocker" to get around that annoyance.