Rip 3D blu ray to HDD for hardware playback?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jimbanville

Rip 3D blu ray to HDD for hardware playback?

Post by Jimbanville »

I've already backed up my 2D blu Rays with makemkv. I can't seem to get it to work with 3D blu Rays. I will be watching these on an Optoma HD25e through either a Panasonic blu ray player or micca Mplay-hd media streamer http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MPLAY-HD-Fu ... op?ie=UTF8
Woodstock

Re: Rip 3D blu ray to HDD for hardware playback?

Post by Woodstock »

Did you use "backup" mode, or did you use the "open and save as MKV file" mode? Backup copies the m2ts files to disk, and so the 3D would be intact with no other actions. Saving as an MKV file, though, you normally have to select the MVC track for saving, unless you've updated your profile to default to saving the MVC track.

I'm not sure if the particular Micca player you reference supports 3D in an MKV file. The EP600v2 does, as well as from m2ts files.
Jimbanville

Post by Jimbanville »

Woodstock wrote:Did you use "backup" mode, or did you use the "open and save as MKV file" mode? Backup copies the m2ts files to disk, and so the 3D would be intact with no other actions. Saving as an MKV file, though, you normally have to select the MVC track for saving, unless you've updated your profile to default to saving the MVC track.

I'm not sure if the particular Micca player you reference supports 3D in an MKV file. The EP600v2 does, as well as from m2ts files.
Thanks for the reply! I did what I do on my 2D Blu rays....I select just the main movie video title, audio and subs I want to keep. What steps should I follow to preserve the 3D?? Thanks again!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In the left menu after you open the disk, there's a little triangle next to each title. Click it for the main movie, and it will reveal the components of the title. One of them will say "MVC", and it probably will NOT be checked. Check it - that's the track that turns an otherwise 2D movie into a 3D. Then click the rip button.
Jimbanville

Post by Jimbanville »

Woodstock wrote:In the left menu after you open the disk, there's a little triangle next to each title. Click it for the main movie, and it will reveal the components of the title. One of them will say "MVC", and it probably will NOT be checked. Check it - that's the track that turns an otherwise 2D movie into a 3D. Then click the rip button.
Ok. I did do that. I then watched the result on the MacBook that I did the rip on and it displayed a 2d image. I was expecting to see a blurred 3d image. So maybe I did capture the 3d but it was displaying as 2d?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Unless your Mac playback software specifically says it does 3D, it will ignore the extra track.

As I understand things, the MVC track is a lot like how stereo music is encoded - a main track, and a "left/right differences" track. A non-stereo player will still faithfully replay the "mono" track, but a stereo will reconstruct the second track.
Jimbanville

Post by Jimbanville »

Woodstock wrote:Unless your Mac playback software specifically says it does 3D, it will ignore the extra track.

As I understand things, the MVC track is a lot like how stereo music is encoded - a main track, and a "left/right differences" track. A non-stereo player will still faithfully replay the "mono" track, but a stereo will reconstruct the second track.
Cool! I actually deleted the rip cuz I thought it was useless. I'll re-rip it tonight and hope for the best! Thanks :)
Jimbanville

Post by Jimbanville »

Woodstock wrote:Unless your Mac playback software specifically says it does 3D, it will ignore the extra track.

I ripped the 3d version of Star Trek into darkness. I checked the box for the video. Haven't had a chance to play it yet (had to got to work). One odd thing I noticed was that along with the mkv file, was another very small file in tgz format. Never seen that before in all the Blu Rays I've ripped, including the 3d Guardians of the galaxy. Any ideas on that one?