how to save 3d disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ginso

how to save 3d disc

#1 Post by Ginso » Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 am

Hi, i just downloaded the program and want to save a 3D Movie, can anyone tell me how to do that?

Woodstock

Re: how to save 3d disc

#2 Post by Woodstock » Tue May 12, 2015 3:00 pm

When you open the disk, click on the little triangle next to the movie title, to expand the list of tracks within that title. You should see an MVC track; make sure it is selected before you start the rip. It will NOT be selected by default, unless you have modified your default selection rules (that's under Expert mode).

etvideo1

#3 Post by etvideo1 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:40 pm

OK, I have done everything advised. Checked every 3D box. and still, I get no 3D, just two 2D versions. I have no idea where to find this "Expert" mode. I want to get rid of a lot of my Blu-Ray and DVD collection but still keep some titles and so far, it is only the 3D titles I have a major problem with.

Also, I would like to know how to make these files smaller without loosing too much quality. 33 gigs for a 4 and a half movie is a bit large.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:57 pm

kamalpreet wrote:can anyone tell me how to do that? :shock:
From two messages up:
Woodstock wrote:When you open the disk, click on the little triangle next to the movie title, to expand the list of tracks within that title. You should see an MVC track; make sure it is selected before you start the rip. It will NOT be selected by default, unless you have modified your default selection rules (that's under Expert mode).
Now, whether or not you can USE the 3D information depends upon your playback device or software. The resulting file is "2D plus 3D information", so a 2D player can play the 2D movie.

JBDragon

#5 Post by JBDragon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:58 am

etvideo1 wrote:OK, I have done everything advised. Checked every 3D box. and still, I get no 3D, just two 2D versions. I have no idea where to find this "Expert" mode. I want to get rid of a lot of my Blu-Ray and DVD collection but still keep some titles and so far, it is only the 3D titles I have a major problem with.

Also, I would like to know how to make these files smaller without loosing too much quality. 33 gigs for a 4 and a half movie is a bit large.
I use a program called Handbreak which is FREE. It works great. I shrink all my DVD's and Blu-Ray's using it. The settings may be a little confusing at first and it does take some time. So I rip a bunch of Discs and then setup HandBreak to process them on all it's own. I haven't done any 3D movies with it though as I don't have any. So I don't know how well that works.

https://handbrake.fr/

It works on Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. It works great and will do a Amazing job of shrinking a file size down. Especially a DVD going from a older Mpeg2 to a newer modern compression format. But still does wonders on Blu-Rays and still look fantastic when you play them on your HDTV!!! A Blu-Ray will take a whole lot longer then a DVD.

Woodstock

#6 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Handbrake only handles the 2D portion of 3D movies. As they say, there is no current decoder of the 3D MVC track available with compatible licensing, so they just ignore it.

For now, if you want 3D, the options are to use the backup option, which saves the "raw" M2TS file with the 3D MVC track, and MKV with the 3D MVC track included, and no compression.

Tungsten

#7 Post by Tungsten » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm having the same problem. Running MakeMKV v1.9.4 and trying to transcode Avatar 3D, I've checked the option for "Video = Mpeg4-MVC-3D" but when I open the actual created MKV file in MediaInfo it is only showing the AVC video stream. I'm pretty sure this used to work in previous versions of MakeMKV, is this a bug in 1.9.4 (or other newer versions)??

wolframs

#8 Post by wolframs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 am

Tungsten wrote:I'm having the same problem. Running MakeMKV v1.9.4 and trying to transcode Avatar 3D, I've checked the option for "Video = Mpeg4-MVC-3D" but when I open the actual created MKV file in MediaInfo it is only showing the AVC video stream. I'm pretty sure this used to work in previous versions of MakeMKV, is this a bug in 1.9.4 (or other newer versions)??
I also have the same problem. I tried with version 1.9.9 and version 1.9.8 for Mac.
Both just stored the 2D part although I checked the Mpeg4-MVC-3D video track.

Please help.

Thanks,
Wolfi

springer

#9 Post by springer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 pm

I do not know if this could be your problem but I have a mede8er media player and when I converted Avatar I had to save it with a file name that included the info saying the 3D playback was either top bottom or left right. So my saved title was:

Until I included the tb the player only played it in 2D.

wolframs

#10 Post by wolframs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:40 am

springer wrote:I do not know if this could be your problem but I have a mede8er media player and when I converted Avatar I had to save it with a file name that included the info saying the 3D playback was either top bottom or left right. So my saved title was:

Until I included the tb the player only played it in 2D.

Thanks for the tip. But unfortunately it's not a player issue. The saved file just does not contain any information about the second view/perspective.