Forced Subtitles from MKV file

Everything related to MakeMKV
Leoric

Forced Subtitles from MKV file

Post by Leoric »

I've ripped a lot of BD to MKV and noticed too late that the media player I'm using on my TV can't only show the parts within the subtitle stream which are forced flagged, it either shows none or all.
So in future I will rip with a subtitle stream only containing the forced flagged ones. Of course I'd like to do that with my mkv files without having to do the whole ripping work again, but if I open an mkv in makemkv it offers pretty much all options but this one (even though there are subtitle streams with forced flagged subtitles inside). The mkvs were made with makemkv and showing only the forced flagged subtitles works perfectly on my PC, so the files shouldn't be the problem.

Am I overseeing anything or does makemkv not have this option if the source is a mkv-file?
Woodstock

Re: Forced Subtitles from MKV file

Post by Woodstock »

It is actually VERY RARE in my experience to find a title that has a subtitle track that uses the "forced" flag. And believe me, over 95% of what I buy is non-English stuff with subtitles. You can tell MakeMKV to create a "forced only" track for each subtitle track found, but you will usually see a message about "forced subtitle track #n found to be empty, deleting".

The only exception to that I can recall is Avatar.

Most dubbed Japanese titles will have two subtitle tracks for English - everything, and signs/writing/translation notes (what would be considered "forced"). Some publishers (Viz Media being one) only do one track, but there are no forced flags within it.

The system I use is to rip EVERYTHING, and sort out which tracks are forced/everything after the fact. You can remove the unwanted tracks using the mkvtoolix tools, or, if you're processing through something like handbrake to make the files smaller, you can choose with tracks to include at that time.
Leoric

Post by Leoric »

I sometimes came along BDs with forced subtitles, as right now I'm watching Game of Thrones which uses them as forced flagged ones (Dothraki and Valyrian spoeken scenes) inside the subtitle stream (PGS). On the computer no problem, but the media Player either Plays all subtitles through the episode or none. Without subtitles it's not watchable, but subtitles all the time are annoying, as it's turning them on and off while watching.

So my only reasonable option is to get a subtitle stream only containing the ones which are forced flagged, which I do with the new season. I would like to do that for the previous ones too and it would save me quite a lot of time if I had the option in case the source is an mkv file and not the BD as I already ripped them to mkv leaving the subtitle track untouched.

So my point is, I've got BDs ripped to MKV containg the subtitlte track which include forced flagged parts and I want to create a subtitle track for only the forced subtitles. If the source is a BD, makemkv offers me the option, if the source is a mkv it doesn't.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

- extract sub
- create forced only track with BDSUP2SUB
- remux new track into mkv
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Woodstock wrote:It is actually VERY RARE in my experience to find a title that has a subtitle track that uses the "forced" flag. And believe me, over 95% of what I buy is non-English stuff with subtitles. You can tell MakeMKV to create a "forced only" track for each subtitle track found, but you will usually see a message about "forced subtitle track #n found to be empty, deleting".

The only exception to that I can recall is Avatar.

Most dubbed Japanese titles will have two subtitle tracks for English - everything, and signs/writing/translation notes (what would be considered "forced"). Some publishers (Viz Media being one) only do one track, but there are no forced flags within it.

The system I use is to rip EVERYTHING, and sort out which tracks are forced/everything after the fact. You can remove the unwanted tracks using the mkvtoolix tools, or, if you're processing through something like handbrake to make the files smaller, you can choose with tracks to include at that time.
I just open the mkv file in makemkv and deselect the tracks I don't want and re-rip. Only found this out the other day.