DTS

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Badboyztn

DTS

Post by Badboyztn »

Just a quick question from a makemkv noob. I have ripped 3 movies and I click the DTS-HD MA button before ripping the file. When I play back through Plex or Kodi, my HK receiver only says DTS and not DTS-HD MA and the little speakers graphic does not show on my receiver. Is this the way it's supposed to work or do I need to enable a setting somewhere?
Woodstock

Re: DTS

Post by Woodstock »

Not all programs can handle DTS-HD directly.

If you want to have the DTS core (lossy) audio available, it will be a separate track from the DTS-HD (lossless) track. Have you switched to the second track during playback?

Also, with both Plex and Kodi, you have to make sure they aren't transcoding the audio. Part of their function is to make media files compatible with the playback hardware....
Badboyztn

Post by Badboyztn »

There is only 1 audio track because I uncheck them all except for the DTS-HD MA. If I unchecked Pass Thru on Kodi, my receiver then says Multi-Ch PCM
maiden_trooper

Post by maiden_trooper »

Then, Kodi is decoding the DTS-HDMA track into LPCM and passing it to your receiver.

Since, LPCM, like DTS-HDMA is lossless, IMHO, this is perfectly okay assuming that Kodi is correctly decoding DTS-HDMA to LPCM without introducing artefacts of its own.