Is it possible to increase the sound volume of the mkv file?

Everything related to MakeMKV
sam042955

Is it possible to increase the sound volume of the mkv file?

Post by sam042955 »

Hi. I'm a first time user of MakeMKV. I did a search before posting and didn't find anything. Comparing the mkv files made with MakeMKV with the .avi files made with Fair Use Wizard, the volume is much softer on the .mkv files. Is there any way I can increase the volume on the final .mkv files(s)? Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Is it possible to increase the sound volume of the mkv f

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV copies the audio with the same volume as was present on the original disk. When you process it with other programs, they can (and often do) change the volume of audio as they process it.

And a lot of players deal differently with different CODECs - my Micca player can show massive changes in volume when switching from AC3 to an AAC track from the same title.

In Handbrake, you can adjust the volume of a track during conversion under the "Advanced" settings.
sam042955

Post by sam042955 »

Woodstock wrote:MakeMKV copies the audio with the same volume as was present on the original disk. When you process it with other programs, they can (and often do) change the volume of audio as they process it.

And a lot of players deal differently with different CODECs - my Micca player can show massive changes in volume when switching from AC3 to an AAC track from the same title.

In Handbrake, you can adjust the volume of a track during conversion under the "Advanced" settings.
OK. So I take that as a "No". :wink:

Thanks for your reply.

(NOTE: I did try all the different MakeMKV audio options (FLAC, AC3, etc.) to see if there was any difference in the volume and they all sounded pretty much the same to me.)
sam042955

Post by sam042955 »

zhuangqian wrote:Is the time of the passing away of memories, or we have already not in each other's heart, already do not exist in the world to each other, perhaps as early as the beginning after the end of the doomed, we can only look like parallel lines as not in the same plane, there will be no intersection. :P
Well...you make a good point. :roll:
nickr

Post by nickr »

sam042955 wrote:
Woodstock wrote:MakeMKV copies the audio with the same volume as was present on the original disk. When you process it with other programs, they can (and often do) change the volume of audio as they process it.

Thanks for your reply.

(NOTE: I did try all the different MakeMKV audio options (FLAC, AC3, etc.) to see if there was any difference in the volume and they all sounded pretty much the same to me.)
Well the point of makemkv is to give you the same stream as is on your disk. multichannel sound is usually very dynamic, quiet in the dialogue, loud in the action sequences. It is how the director/sound mixer intended you to see it. People who create avis usually boost the sound and downmix to two channels. If you want to screw up the sound experience, you can do the same by running the file that makemkv produces through an encoder like handbrake.
sam042955

Post by sam042955 »

nickr wrote:
sam042955 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Well the point of makemkv is to give you the same stream as is on your disk. multichannel sound is usually very dynamic, quiet in the dialogue, loud in the action sequences. It is how the director/sound mixer intended you to see it. People who create avis usually boost the sound and downmix to two channels. If you want to screw up the sound experience, you can do the same by running the file that makemkv produces through an encoder like handbrake.
I suppose it all depends on how one defines "screw up the sound". But thanks for the input.