Skipping frames

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
winchesterstoke

Skipping frames

#1 Post by winchesterstoke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi, I've just started using 1.9.1 (Windows version) and all the disks I've ripped seem to have frames missing (I've never had it on all the previous disks I've ripped on previous versions)?

When I play the mkv files produced on 1.9.1, whenever there is significant movement on the screen (e.g. a person walking across) - frames are being dropped?

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Woodstock

Re: Skipping frames

#2 Post by Woodstock » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:33 pm

A debug log from a rip where this is a problem would be very helpful, as it would show if MakeMKV is dropping frames to fix audio synchronization issues.

However, another common "source" of "skipped frames" is when the player cannot keep up with the bitrate necessary to play back a file in real time. Players generally prioritize keeping the audio in flowing continuously, and drop video frames. Sequences with lots of changes between frames (like motion) use the highest bandwidth, and are the most likely to have a few dropped.

What player, and is the file on a local drive or a network share?

winchesterstoke

#3 Post by winchesterstoke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Woodstock wrote:A debug log from a rip where this is a problem would be very helpful, as it would show if MakeMKV is dropping frames to fix audio synchronization issues.

However, another common "source" of "skipped frames" is when the player cannot keep up with the bitrate necessary to play back a file in real time. Players generally prioritize keeping the audio in flowing continuously, and drop video frames. Sequences with lots of changes between frames (like motion) use the highest bandwidth, and are the most likely to have a few dropped.

What player, and is the file on a local drive or a network share?
Many thanks for the reply. Can you point me to instructions for getting a debug log please?

I'm playing on a Minix X7 (latest firmware) using Kodi - files located on a NAS (connected by cable via a Gigabit switch). All the files (same location) that I ripped previously play perfectly.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:40 pm

My signature points to the FAQ on how to enable debug logging and where to find the log files.

winchesterstoke

#5 Post by winchesterstoke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Woodstock wrote:My signature points to the FAQ on how to enable debug logging and where to find the log files.
Cheers.

This is what I get in the logfile:

Debug log started at Fri Mar 06 16:13:03 2015 , written by MakeMKV v1.9.1 win(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.9.1 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Main User/MakeMKV_log.txt
003007:0000 Using direct disc access mode
003028:0000 Title #2 was added (8 cell(s), 1:23:45)
003025:0000 Title #3 has length of 25 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 233 at tlBs28KoQk9kyubphwVrZHT4:0
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 233 at NwpZiB/LVsrahbe4fNwUtCjB:0
005011:0000 Operation successfully completed
005014:0000 Saving 1 titles into directory F:/Users/Main Admin/Videos/Media Player Videos
002008:0020 Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
002008:0020 Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
005005:0080 1 titles saved
005036:0104 Copy complete. 1 titles saved.
Application exited at Fri Mar 06 16:19:55 2015

Any ideas please? I've tried reinstalling makemkv (from a fresh download) and I still get frames being skipped. Looking at the on screen tracking in Kodi - it's not reporting any skipped frames on playback.

Woodstock

#6 Post by Woodstock » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 pm

The log indicates that things wrote OK, but that there is a bandwidth issue with where you're writing the files to... Data is coming off the optical disk faster than it can be written, so MakeMKV has to wait for writes to complete. A local hard drive should be able to keep up unless it is badly fragmented OR your system is busy writing other things. A network share will depend upon the speed of the server.

This would also show up in playback - most player will skip over video frames if they get behind, and change the way they buffer data if things are really bad. Just because you have a gigabit connection, doesn't mean you can move a lot of data around on it.

Is your NAS a home-brew, or purchased? I retired an IOMega NAS because it couldn't feed two SD data streams at the same time, and trying to feed HD, it struggled with 1. The Synology that replaced it cost a LOT more, but it will saturate a gigabit connection on both read AND write, AND it has 4 network connections on the back, so it can exceed that if I need it to.

winchesterstoke

#7 Post by winchesterstoke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Woodstock wrote:The log indicates that things wrote OK, but that there is a bandwidth issue with where you're writing the files to... Data is coming off the optical disk faster than it can be written, so MakeMKV has to wait for writes to complete. A local hard drive should be able to keep up unless it is badly fragmented OR your system is busy writing other things. A network share will depend upon the speed of the server.

This would also show up in playback - most player will skip over video frames if they get behind, and change the way they buffer data if things are really bad. Just because you have a gigabit connection, doesn't mean you can move a lot of data around on it.

Is your NAS a home-brew, or purchased? I retired an IOMega NAS because it couldn't feed two SD data streams at the same time, and trying to feed HD, it struggled with 1. The Synology that replaced it cost a LOT more, but it will saturate a gigabit connection on both read AND write, AND it has 4 network connections on the back, so it can exceed that if I need it to.
Thanks - really helpful - and given me some things to try!

I'm ripping directly onto a local disk - which could be fragmented, and I have been thrashing while ripping (watching Sky Go, converting MKVs to AVIs, etc.) - so I'll investigate if that's causing the problem.

I've tried streaming from both my NASs (Dlink DNS320 and a DNS320L - a bit slow but fine for streaming in SD), and I have the same problem from both of them - but only on the files I've ripped recently.

winchesterstoke

#8 Post by winchesterstoke » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:18 pm

Now sorted thanks. Looks like it was a problem with the stress on the PC when ripping.

Many thanks!