Captain America: The Winter Soldier - No Forced Subtitles?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Kudikai

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - No Forced Subtitles?

Post by Kudikai »

I watched the movie in the theater twice, but my memory sometimes fails me. I could've sworn that the ship scene at about 7.5 minutes into the movie has subtitles for the French hijacker pieces. I can't seem to get those forced subtitles ripped. I selected all 4 of the English (Forced) options, but not the primary English options, for subtitles and still don't see a subtitle track option in VLC.

Am I just wrong about the subtitles, or has someone else experienced this?
Romansh

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - No Forced Subtitle

Post by Romansh »

Try ripping all non-forced tracks, it can be one of those too.
Kudikai

Post by Kudikai »

You were correct. The third English subtitle track (not forced) was actually the forced subtitles.

Thanks for the help!
Warrzone

Post by Warrzone »

As you found out, there are three ways forced subtitles can be presented on Blu-ray discs (but only two that you have to worry about). The first is separate, like you encountered, where the forced subtitles have a main track spot. The second is contained like in Captain Phillips where the forced subtitles are "contained" under a main track (Sony likes the contained format, but not only Sony because The Grand Budapest Hotel has them too which is Fox). The third is hardcoded where the forced subtitles are burned into the video, so you do not need to make a selection.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

There's more. Sometimes they are marked as forced as sometimes not.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Warrzone

Post by Warrzone »

Chetwood wrote:There's more. Sometimes they are marked as forced as sometimes not.
There aren't any more variances. The contained ones will be marked as forced (MakeMKV flags them as default "d" and I change the flag to "f". There might be some way to fix this in the options, but there aren't that many to worry about). The separate ones will not be marked.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

There are. If there's a separate track, the items inside can be flagged as forced or not.

viewtopic.php?p=25587#p25587
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
KaldrinX

Post by KaldrinX »

I'm sorry for the thread necro on this one, but I cannot get the subtitles to work on this one. I tried all three tracks both forced and unforced and nothing. I just bought the BR a few weeks back. Is it possible they changed the encoding so you couldn't use mkv and other programs on it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Anything is possible. When you open the disk, what is shown for subtitles when you expand the movie title (click on the triangle next to the title in the left pane of the menu)?
KaldrinX

Post by KaldrinX »

I see the first selection for English, then French, Spanish, English again, French again, Spanish again, then English one more time followed by French and Spanish again.

So it goes:
English
English forced
French
French forced
Spanish
Spanish forced
English
English forced
French
French forced
Spanish
Spanish forced
English
English forced
French
French forced
Spanish
Spanish forced

I've tried with all three of them checked on both the main and forced, one at a time just with the top, all three top levels, all with only 'forced' checked and forced one at a time. Pretty much every combo you could think of. Yeah, it was a slow Saturday afternoon.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The "Forced" checkbox is there whenever dealing with subtitles... Checking it doesn't guarantee there are really forced subtitles within that track :)

The second set of English/French/Spanish subtitles may be for a commentary audio track.