Corrupt video data for special features

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
nitro322

Corrupt video data for special features

Post by nitro322 »

I've been using MakeMKV for a little while now on Linux, and so far everything has either worked fine or has been easily solved with an upgrade. However, I've recently run into an odd issue that I can't figure out how to solve, or even why it's occurring. On two discs that I recently picked up, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Looper, the video data from ripped special features is corrupt, for lack of a better word. The picture is really blocky, with a lot of artifacts to the point of being unwatchable.

Oddly, the feature title and *some* special features from these discs we ripped fine, but a large number of the special features tracks have this problem. These are both brand new discs that I tried ripping as soon as I tore open the shrink wrap, and I can't find any obvious problems with the discs themselves. My blu-ray drive isn't very old either, so I'd be surprised (and extremely disappointed) if it was going bad, but regardless I ripped a couple other discs successfully after these two, so it seems like just these two discs.

Any idea what might be causing this? Anyone run into something similar before?

Here's the debug log from ripping one of the affected tracks:
http://www.legroom.net/public/MakeMKV_log.txt

And, here's an example video showing the problem. It's 66 MB, which is the smallest track of the bunch that had the problem:
https://www.legroom.net/public/title10.mkv

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
mike admin

Re: Corrupt video data for special features

Post by mike admin »

Please run mediainfo on the file and check if video codec is "V_VC1". If it is, then google "interlaced VC-1" and get angry...
nitro322

Re: Corrupt video data for special features

Post by nitro322 »

actually, this is totally my bad. Turns out MakeMKV was ripping the titles just fine - my computer was then playing some of those ripped tracks poorly, with all of the corruption I described. Never ran into that problem before so I didn't even consider it'd be the player, but I got clued into that when trying to play an older video that I know worked fine and still had the same problem.

Sorry for the noise. MakeMKV is still kicking ass.

I do love getting worked up, though, so I think I'll go ahead and search for interlaced VC-1 regardless. Should make for a fun evening. :-)