BD Drive Query

Everything related to MakeMKV
jamar.el

BD Drive Query

#1 Post by jamar.el » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:25 am

Hello everyone, long time lurker but finally registered.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this sort of stuff, but I couldn't really find anything.

Anyways, I am moving from Windows to a MBPr, so I need an external blu-ray drive. My plan is to create rips of my Blu-rays as I am currently doing now, and watch with VLC so software is not the issue. The issue I have is region locking on the drive at a hardware level. As far as I am aware, MakeMKV should be able to get through region locking, however, I do know that there a few brands that region lock at a hardware level. I have experienced this first hand with my Windows laptop, which had a Matshita drive, which from my research, I am led to believe are notoriously difficult with hardware region locking.

I am looking at this drive: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Su ... 92123011_5

My question is has anybody had any experience with this drive, or LG regarding hardware region locking? Or can anybody recommend me a drive which will not have any issues with region locking when ripping? As I am using a Mac, I am not sure if Mac compatibility is an issue or even a thing?

As a side note, I am aware of the whole OSX issue with DTS-HD and TrueHD codecs. I know that if I can get the .dll file that MakeMKV uses as an algorithm, any movies with these codecs can be converted to FLAC. Basically I just want to know, if it really is that simple? Or am I missing something along the way?

Sorry for the long post, I am just looking for a bit of guidance. Thank you so much in advance.

mike admin

Re: BD Drive Query

#2 Post by mike admin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Just to note, hardware region lock is a DVD feature. For blu-ray any drive will bypass region lock. You still can get a blu-ray drive that will enforce hardware region lock, but only for DVD discs.

jamar.el

Re: BD Drive Query

#3 Post by jamar.el » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:49 pm

mike admin wrote:Just to note, hardware region lock is a DVD feature. For blu-ray any drive will bypass region lock. You still can get a blu-ray drive that will enforce hardware region lock, but only for DVD discs.
This I was unaware of. Thank you. That's really great news. About 80% of the region locked stuff I'm looking at is Blu-rays so that helps out big time.