X-Men DOFP Audio?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
pbcsd

X-Men DOFP Audio?

Post by pbcsd »

Hey guys,

Just ripped my bluray that I bought to my hard drive using mkv. However, the audio mix seems to be at least 10db down or so from when I play it using my bluray player? I have noticed this with some other movies (like the 2nd and 3rd Pirates of the Carribean movies), but in those cases for whatever reason DTS-MA (or HD, whatever it is) simply won't convert over.

In this case my processor is reading the correct DTS MA mix, but the volume is just way way down from what it is on the disc itself. E.g., at -10db to reference on my processor played via the rip it is akin to around -20db via bluray (guestimates here of course).

Here is the audio from mediainfo..
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 2h 11mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy
Title : Surround 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : ES
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 2h 11mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.39 GiB (5%)
Title : Surround 5.1
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Anyone else have this issue?

Also, anyone have the same issue on the 2nd and 3rd instalments of Pirate's(probably requires another thread but thought I'd ask anyway!).

Thx
ndjamena

Re: X-Men DOFP Audio?

Post by ndjamena »

MakeMKV doesn't changed the audio at all unless you tell it to duration an actual codec conversion (which, unless you wrote your own profile, will only happen with the AAC profile), so if there's any difference in volume then it's the fault of the players themselves.

Are those the only 3 discs you've ripped? Are there other discs that DON'T display these symptoms? Are you playing them on the same player? Are you bit streaming to a receiver?
pbcsd

Re: X-Men DOFP Audio?

Post by pbcsd »

That's the odd thing. Most discs are fine. I'm bit streaming to a processor.

Using a Pivos Xios XS. May try my HTPC build (it's hooked up upstairs and not to a receiver) to see if it works fine on that.