New issues with handbrake on makemkv encoded discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
tucobenedito

New issues with handbrake on makemkv encoded discs

#1 Post by tucobenedito » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 am

Hi,

I have been happily encoding discs with makemkv and handbrake for quite a while and I have not encountered issues. I use an external Blu-Ray drive. A couple weeks ago I purchased a replacement desktop computer. Since then I have been encountering issues where discs encoded with makemkv encounter sync issues with handbrake (specifically where the number of actual frames is different than expected). I initially thought the issue was with the external Blu-Ray drive, but I do not see the issue when encoding the same discs my old desktop and the same external Blu-Ray drive. So, I now think it is due to my new desktop, but that does not make a lot of sense to me. Both desktops run the same version of Windows 8.1 and the same version of makemkv, so the obvious software differences are not relevant (I think). Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue is?

Thank you for the help!

Woodstock

Re: New issues with handbrake on makemkv encoded discs

#2 Post by Woodstock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:10 am

Are you ripping to MKV files, then putting those through handbrake, or are you trying to use MakeMKV to decode the BDs and rip them "real time" with handbrake?

tucobenedito

#3 Post by tucobenedito » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I first encode to a mkv file and then independently rip with handbrake.

Thanks

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:23 pm

MakeMKV will do its best to synchronize the video and audio tracks by adjusting frames. The thing to do is to check the MKV files before running them through handbrake to make sure they're OK, so that you can figure out if it is MakeMKV's issue, or handbrake's.

If you are using the "release" version of handbrake, though, I highly recommend that you download either the 0.10 release candidate or a nightly build, as there are a lot of issues that were fixed after 0.9.9 was released.

tucobenedito

#5 Post by tucobenedito » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi,

I am sorry I was ambiguous in my note when I referred to sync issues. What I am seeing is handbrake will exit early in the process and the error I will see in the handbrake log is something about a sync issue where the number of frames found differs from the number expected. Ultimately, my video file is truncated. It is not an audio/video sync issue. That said, when I view the mkv file in VLC I do not encounter issues.

I will definitely take your advice to download the latest RC of handbrake and try it.

Thanks

Woodstock

#6 Post by Woodstock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Also, make sure you hang onto the Handbrake log. When problems like this occur, forum.handbrake.fr is the place to ask, but they WILL want the encode log posted with the question.

They can tell exactly where the issue is.

tucobenedito

#7 Post by tucobenedito » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:38 am

Hi,

I now have more detail on the issue where I get a read error while running handbrake on a mkv file. When I have makemkv place the mkv file it creates on a USB drive, I get the error. If I alternatively have makemkv put the mkv file on my local drive, I do not get an error when later running handbrake. So, I am guessing some sort of write error occurs when creating the mkv file on the USB drive. Has this been seen before?

Thank you

Romansh

#8 Post by Romansh » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:06 pm

How is your USB drive formatted, FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, something else?

tucobenedito

#9 Post by tucobenedito » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 pm

The USB drive is formatted with NTFS, as is my internal drive.

It seems like makemkv is encountering write errors when writing the .mkv file out to the USB drive which it silently ignores.