User Documentation Needs

Everything related to MakeMKV
Walter Lacey

User Documentation Needs

Post by Walter Lacey »

Please post your suggestions for the most ideal, instructive reading material to educate a beginner about movie copying.
Or any other subject, I think! I also suggest such a forum all its own!
I feel like I am driving an Electric Bumper Car at the fair and getting NOWHERE!
I ripped four movies into .mkv tittles, using MakeMKV.exe
They do all show using VLC, wit no menu, which is OK.
I would like very much, to move each of the four .mkv movies onto a 4.7 single-layer DVD. But I am ignorant.
All my attempts have failed. I began more than two months ago. I have tried this effort now with FreeMKV2Dvd, Handbrake, Avi2Dvd DVDStyler, FlickDVD, windoes burn, IMG Burn, all to no avail.
The closest I got, was using Avi2DVD, but the audio lags the video by about nine seconds.
The most profound thing I have learned, has been, a "subtitle" is storage for "Closed Captians for the Hearing Impaired!" And that, I did not read anywhere! I discovered it!
I have not even found a Glossary of video/audio/format terms!
Honestly, It seems like the only human communication today is, { point(Its raining.) -- response(Get an unbrella). }
Can anybody speak to this? Where can I find some comprehensive reading material to get my four, ripped .mkv movies onto a DVD? And get off the asprin!
BTW: One of the progs mention --- five hours to decode/encode!
ndjamena

Re: User Documentation Needs

Post by ndjamena »

I've been at it four a little over 2 years, slowly hammering down to the nuts and bolts and I know I'm a LONG way from a comprehensive understanding of how all this works.

I guess the most important question I have for you is about "I would like very much, to move each of the four .mkv movies onto a 4.7 single-layer DVD."

A DVD is just a disc that you store data on, do you want to just store a video file on the disc or do you want an actual DVD-Video disc you can play on a DVD player?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

What is the source format? BD or DVD and if the former, why not stay with BD resolution?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Walter Lacey

Post by Walter Lacey »

ndjamena wrote:I've been at it four a little over 2 years, slowly hammering down to the nuts and bolts and I know I'm a LONG way from a comprehensive understanding of how all this works.
I guess the most important question I have for you is about "I would like very much, to move each of the four .mkv movies onto a 4.7 single-layer DVD."
A DVD is just a disc that you store data on, do you want to just store a video file on the disc or do you want an actual DVD-Video disc you can play on a DVD player?
I guess then, what I was asking for, does not exist. .... :( Uh-Oh!

I want an actual DVD-Video disc , which you can play on a DVD player. I think what I'm after is a Audio/Video TS or such.
I did accomplish an .iso file, written, which also will play from DVD to VLC. BUT! The big screen movie name was "Title00".

Moreover, it gave, "DISK ERROR" when stuck into the DVD. That wasted my popcorn! :evil:

Truthfully, I want to complete this DVD copy. My movie, My "back-up" if you will.
If I can't, I'll have to pay 60 bucks for the "AnyDVD" program. I think it can decode a protected.
:?:
Walter Lacey

Post by Walter Lacey »

Chetwood wrote:What is the source format? BD or DVD and if the former, why not stay with BD resolution?
You are speaking above my head Chet, for I do not know what a BD is.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The last time I made a DVD I just downloaded something off of sourceforge. They were youtube videos, I made menus and everything and it all worked perfectly. Spending money of these kind of tools is a waste unless you need advanced features.

Have you looked here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

(If you really do intend to make a DVD the video help forums would be a better place to ask questions :) )

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/31-Au ... -%28DVD%29
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Try DVDstyler, I'm halfway through encoding a 4.7 gb iso at the moment and it seems ridiculously simple.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

BD = Blu-Ray Disc. So you wanna make backups of DVDs to DVD: use DVD Shrink and rip main movie only.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I was thinking that but was worried about possible structure protection. Yes, try Shrink DVD first, if that doesn't work on a disc try DVDFab->ShrinkDVD or MakeMKV->DVDStyler.
Fawkes

Post by Fawkes »

@Walter Lacey

don't expect to be a rocket scientist over night
there is a lot of things since the first feeble attempts to sell VCD's

even if a faq with all in it exists it would fill a book and even if you read it you will not keep all what you later need to do what you want because most of it is helpful background knowlege (i'm shure there are books even ebooks about ist but they will cost money)
imho the fastest way is still a talk or chat and even that will just solve the one problem you have, it's more like learning all the time and for a lot of people it's not woth it investing so much time into such thing, if you count all the time and charge money for every hour it's cheaper to spend money for discs and video on demand

lot's of people using tools like makemkv and have no idea how much of a difference is between a dvd and a bluray (i.e. when it comes to new released disc's or the "long term" use of such tools without updating)
Walter Lacey

Post by Walter Lacey »

ndjamena wrote:Try DVDstyler, I'm halfway through encoding a 4.7 gb iso at the moment and it seems ridiculously simple.
Maybe that was how I did the .iso AND because it was so simple. But There was no menu and no Title except, "Title 00".
NOR did it play in a DVD player.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Oh, you missed a comma in your first post.

I'm pretty sure that's what I used to burn the youtube videos (Transformers Parodies) and it worked fine in a DVD player (I played it to my nephew). Maybe there's a bug, or maybe you need to do a little fiddling. I'm also wondering if I should waste a disc testing it out...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Actually, my iso plays in VLC just fine, I have a DVD menu I have a playall option and a select title screen but I forgot to add captions to the selections... my fault. Theoretically it should play in a DVD player.
Walter Lacey

Post by Walter Lacey »

Fawkes wrote:@Walter Lacey
even if a faq with all in it exists it would fill a book
Not every body needs instruction out of the corn maze, but I do. :roll:
Walter Lacey

Post by Walter Lacey »

ndjamena wrote:Oh, you missed a comma in your first post.
...missed two......
..... tried this effort now with FreeMKV2Dvd, Handbrake, Avi2Dvd DVDStyler, FlickDVD, windoes burn, IMG Burn, all to no avail...... here,(, Avi2Dvd DVDStyler, ). AND
most profound thing I have learned, has been, a "subtitle" is storage for "Closed Captians for ........here("subtitle" is).
ndjamena wrote:it worked fine in a DVD player. Maybe you need to do a little fiddling.
Correct....I've now sucessfully burned an .iso using IMG Burn. I did it wrong before, but this run had other problems and I'm unsure which the .iso came from.
ndjamena wrote:I'm also wondering if I should waste a disc testing it out...
Absolutly not. You got other things to do. I mean, considering your shoe is untied.