The Counselor - Extended Edition (Missing Audio Tracks)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Sarvajanik

The Counselor - Extended Edition (Missing Audio Tracks)

Post by Sarvajanik »

Just got my shiny new disc of The Counselor (Extended Cut).

When I play the disc on my PS3, I get the DTS-HD Audio just fine. And the commentary track as a selectable option. All OK.

Popped the disc into MakeMKV for my usual backup ritual... and surprisingly only the main DTS-HD track shows. The commentary AC3 track is completely non-existent.

Opened up tsMuxerGUI and voila! Everything is there. Under the very same .mpls file.

Below is a screenshot of what I see:

I'm using the latest Beta 1.8.8; and the result is the same on 1.8.7 by the way.
Woodstock

Re: The Counselor - Extended Edition (Missing Audio Tracks)

Post by Woodstock »

By default, MakeMKV selects the highest-quality audio track in each language. This means that commentary tracks are not usually selected. Except when the movie audio is 2.0 channels and the commentary is 5.1, in which case the movie audio will be ignored.

Once you enable Expert Mode under Preferences/General, you can modify the "Default selection rule" in the Advanced tab. Mine is set for:

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
This can also be controlled in profiles, which are created/edited using a text editor.
Sarvajanik

Post by Sarvajanik »

Dear Woodstock,

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not referring to what gets selected by default... i'm saying the 'Commentary' audio track is missing in the title's playlist. Unlike all my other discs, this does not show up at all. And this seems to be happening only in MakeMKV. tsMuxerGUI and MKVMerge seem to be detecting both the (HD soundtrack) audio and the commentary audio within the playlist.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My security settings did not allow your screen shot to display, so I could only go by your description.

What are the two larger titles, at 40GB? I ask because many of the BDs I have use a separate title for the "with commentary" version, even if it shares everything else with the standard tracks. Given their size, for the 40GB titles to NOT share something with the 25GB title, this would have to be a triple-layer disk... which is possible, but rare.
Sarvajanik

Post by Sarvajanik »

The 40GB title is a featurette called 'Truth of the Situation: Making The Counselor'. It is a 'hybrid' combining Ridley Scott's commentary with 13 featurettes which are accessed via seamless branching while the film plays. There is no PiP content here; instead, the featurettes simply start at various points and then you're returned to the film right where you left off.

[Above description is from blu-ray.com]

Now, the funny part is... if I drop down that title, there is no HD Audio in that. Just the commentary track. So i'm unsure how the seamless hula-hoop is happening.

Even if it is... how is it that other ripping apps can see the title for what it is. And MakeMKV cannot?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That I cannot answer for you. However, as a suggestion....

See http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/testdump.html for how to make a test dump, that will give Mike a LOT more information about the structure of the disk. Have it rip both the main title and one of the commentary titles.