MKV File Compression

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jasrun2

MKV File Compression

Post by jasrun2 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:55 pm

I would like to fit the MKV files from DVDs onto DVD 5 disks. To reduce the 6 to ± 7 GB to 4.37 GB, should I use Handbrake or another compression program? I would then like to burn these files using a format that could be read by my DVD player.

There is so much junk software, that it is very difficult to get any straight information. Sorry, if this seems a simplistic question. Years ago, MacTheRipper and DVD2OneX did the job, but they are too old now!

Thanks JAS

Woodstock

Re: MKV File Compression

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Compressing the files so they can be read on a DVD player means using MPEG2 compression. While Handbrake can do that, the only real way to make it smaller is to reduce the quality. Going to H.264 will let you keep the quality at a smaller size, but you give up the compatibility with a DVD player.

There are several packages out there that claim to take an MKV file as input for authoring a DVD. The one I purchased, Nero, won't do it unless you enable some web-based tools, so I consider that to be a broken feature.

jasrun2

Post by jasrun2 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Woodstock... I saw that Nero, does not get real favorable reviews. Let's try a different approach. Forget the compression and simply convert the MKV file to a different format that can be read on the DVD player. My Sony 5100 Blu-Ray reads AVCHD, but I guess older DVD players will only read MPEG-2. If I use DL discs then no compression is required, only transcoding to a readable format.... Some suggestion as what to use to convert back from MKV to video? MKV2VOB...?

jas

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 am

If you rip from a DVD, the video and audio in the MKV file are DVD compatible... Just not distributed the way a player expects them.

Of course, a lot depends upon your PLAYER. Some of the Bluray players out there can read/play MKV files off of a DVD data disk, or from a flash drive plugged into them, or across a network from a media player, etc. But a "DVD only" player is not likely to be so smart.

But I am not the best resource on this - I gave up on the idea of copying DVDs to use in DVD players before I really started. There are just so many inexpensive video players out there that far outstrip what DVD could do for less money, that either take a USB disk or flash drive, or have a network connection, or both, to play files. It isn't worth the hassle, except as a thought experiment.