Subtitles on Iron Man 3/Star Trek - Darkness

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Bossone

Subtitles on Iron Man 3/Star Trek - Darkness

Post by Bossone »

When I use MKV on these, the subtitles automatically show up and I can't get rid of them. What am I doing wrong?
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles on Iron Man 3/Star Trek - Darkness

Post by Woodstock »

Check your playback software.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Check my explanation in the other thread where you crossposted to.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Bossone wrote:
Woodstock wrote:What are you using to play the files?

VLC, as an example, unless told otherwise, will play the first subtitle track it finds in the language you set as a preference. On movies like Star Trek, that is a full text subtitle track.
I use VLC to test them and iTunes to play them via apple tv. I first use VLC/handbrake to rip and if I have issues then I go to MKV, and then use handbrake again.

Last night Handbrake did remove the subtitles and I made sure it had forced subtitles on.
You're introducing a lot of software configuration issues here. Handbrake could be burning subtitles in. You really need to JUST test things with MakeMKV, to figure out where the issue is... which means that you're only testing up to the point where you use Handbrake to make the files into MP4 files for iTunes.
Bossone

Post by Bossone »

Actually that is what I'm doing if there is issues with Handbrake. If there is I go to MKV and let it do it's thing directly to the disk, otherwise you are correct in that you have to many variables.